Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Third Party > Hardware Synths & Effects

Old 04-17-2009, 09:46 AM

Default Virus TI2 Statement

Not a question but a statement.
Downloaded and installed Numerology yesterday, hooked up my TI2 Desktop and started working within seconds!
That's what makes a good software.
Will register now. Finaly found whtat I was looking for.

Regards from germany.
parker36
Old 04-17-2009, 10:07 AM

Default virus and N2

my sentiment exactly virus and N2 are made for each other
Old 06-03-2009, 12:32 PM

I wish I could say the same. :-(

I love both products, but unfortunately, the process of combining them directly has been far from smooth for me so far.

Whenever I select the audio outputs of the Virus TI2 in N2, N2 crashes or becomes unresponsive (fails to open projects, although the menu bar is still active). For example, a project that I created from scratch with the same version of N2 and works perfect with a different audio (in/)output fails to load in N2. It needs a force quit and often leaves the Virus in an unusable state until it re-establishes the connection. When the TI2 audio outs are selected and N@ is restarted, even simply saving the preferences without changing anything crashes/hangs N2. On several occasions I heard some very nasty artifact sounds that I would really hate to have an audience listen to in a live performance situation. At one point I even got a quasi-infinite loop of failed connection attempts.

I'm not sure yet where the problem lies, since as of yet I have only been testing the Virus TI2 with Numerology 2.1rc4a, and on a single system running 10.5.4 OSX86. I will test with different hardware and more recent versions of OS X first, before trying previous versions of N2. The Virus <--> USB connection is the first suspect on my list (maybe I should try different USB ports under OS X, but under Windows, you're not 'allowed' to switch USB ports so it needs a full uninstall/reinstall including system reboots, so this is not an attractive route). It may have to do with the recent changes of ReWire functionality, as I do get the TI2's audio in/out to work with other hosts, but the Virus TI2 also has some problems outside of N2 (and the most recent TI OS still has some bugs in general; I already found at least one quite severe bug in the TI plugin where the transmitted upward pitchbend range is off by 1/6). Of course it could also be caused by something specific to the particular system, which is why I want to eliminate that first (and btw, before blaming my hackint0sh install, maybe read this: http://www.infekted.org/virus/showthread.php?t=31027 - some Mac users seem to have quite similar issues).

Anyway, I still have hope that the issues can be resolved. In the meantime, I have some great toys to amuse me. ;-P

Of course, if there's anything I can do on my end to help resolve these issues, I'm more than happy to do so.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:54 PM

Default Virus and N2

Hi sjoerd
Yea unfortunately using a virus as your main out put while running dose not seem to work . It's not really an issue for me because I use a separate interface for both audio output from N2 and audio input .I have tried and experienced the same problems as you describe . I use my virus only as an exterior sound source .I understand your problem as In a live situation using the least amount of gear keeps things simple . Perhaps there is a way around it but I have not needed to find it . With regard to the new virus OS Ive been using it since it was in beta form and had a few problems with it namely a weird fault when arpeggiations would randomly drift in and out of sync and using the new delays a problem would arise again causing timing issues . I emailed access and went for an uninstall and problem solved . Although I have a friend using the TI desktop whos had nothing but trouble with his .
Hope this info helps

Last edited by john brennan; 06-03-2009 at 01:04 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:12 PM

Thanks for the heads up John, such info definitely helps a lot, and is thus greatly appreciated. :-) With which version(s) of N2 have you tried this, and on what type of system (if I may ask)?

Using the TI2 over MIDI and/or using a different audio in/out is sufficiently workable indeed, but misses some cool possibilities, like using parameter modulation with more precise resolution, and of courses it makes it a slightly less compact setup. So I guess I'll keep on looking for better solutions...
Old 06-03-2009, 01:43 PM

Default virus and N2

No problem to be honest I tried it when I first got N2 ( bout 6 months ago ) not sure what version it was they change so often . My set up is fairly straight forward. Using N2 as the main host and battery 3 for drum and vocal sequences with a TI snow on the side . As a sound card / AI im using an Mbox pro been meaning to upgrade to something better but it all works so Im in no rush to fix it . As far as effects go Im using some TAL audio and Sugar bytes all on a macbook 2.4 ghz with 4 gigs of ram . I find this set up for me to be bullet proof and fingers crossed has not let me down yet . I use pro tools (when it decides to work ) I try to get my arrangement , levels and effects all done in N2 and record down to a aiff file then use protools for mastering . Its probably not the most efficient way to work but I dig it
Old 06-03-2009, 02:00 PM

Thanks for the additional info. Sounds like a cool setup you have! Maybe give http://reaper.fm/ a try whenever PT decides not to work. :-)
Old 06-03-2009, 02:08 PM

Default reaper

Thanks for the heads up I just got the reaper demo . Time to give it a bash
Old 06-03-2009, 02:26 PM

Enjoy! Feel free to ping me if you get stuck anywhere.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:45 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjoerd View Post
Of course, if there's anything I can do on my end to help resolve these issues, I'm more than happy to do so.
Just send me the crash logs. The virus ti is tricky business. As with Pro Tools TDM systems, since I don't have one, I can't officially support it. But at least with PT, I can get access to one occasionally in Santa Fe. Nonetheless, I may spot something I can tweak that will help things along. Of course, you should also report these problems to Access. The only other audio interface I've seen problems with was the Allen & Heath firewire mixers, and I'm pretty sure that was due to a faulty driver on their part.

Best,
Jim