Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Eurorack Hardware > Vector Sequencer

Old 03-20-2017, 05:53 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by damianschwartz View Post
You're THE man Jim! this is really great

I don't know if this went on to the Numerology Requests as i don't come much on the Forum, but it would be great to implement Altered scales on Vector (also in Numerology) like Major Phrigyan, Lydian minor 7th... It'd be definetely amazing to have Just intonation scales for Ragas, being a CV module it would allow for microtonal configs! Well, just thinking out loud
Well, in Numerology, you can always use the Custom Scale module (N4 Pro) to get custom quantization behaviors. As for scale quantization on the module, the main scales will be fixed (for first release anyway). Keep in mind that since you will have actual note readouts, it will be much easier to get specific notes than it would with any sequencer that uses sliders or pots to specify notes.

As for micro-tuning on the module, I haven't made a final decision yet, but that item is on the 'nice to have' list -- and asking for it helps!

Cheers,
Jim
Old 03-20-2017, 06:11 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkay76 View Post
This is just fantastic! Been wishing for a Numerology sequencer in EURO for years now. Don't want to use the computer for anything else than recording and mixing.
Yup -- I've noticed quite a few folks going that way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkay76 View Post
Is there an ETA on the VECTOR? And what about price?
At NAMM, I reported a general timeframe of "Summer 2017" and "around $700" for the price. Those are both estimates -- with hardware there is a whole new set of variables to deal with. The release timeframe depends primarily on how quickly I can finalize the hardware, finish the software, and complete a proper test cycle. The final price depends primarily on the final component costs -- something I am working to minimize, but until I get a final quote on "boards and parts" for the next round of hardware revisions, I will not know for sure.

A couple hardware changes to note:

- I'm dropping the "MIDI In" 3.5 mm jack for a USB A jack --- the latter is more flexible, and even a touch cheaper (no need to give you an adapter cable) -- but more work on the software side for the driver and device testing.

- I'm dropping one of the 4 "run/clock" jacks, there will now be 3: Run, Clock, Reset -- each of which will be switchable between input and output and by function. For instance you could have run & clock as inputs for sync, but reset as an output. That setup is a bit more flexible, and helps make room for the USB A jack. Also: there are 8 trigger outputs on the back, whose functions will be assignable as well...

While I'm at it, a quick software update:

- USB MIDI and "Mass Storage" mode are working for the USB B jack on the current prototype.

- The SD card is working well. In "normal" working mode, the SD card will be used for loading/saving preset banks. There will be a "disk" mode whereby connecting the unit via USB to a computer will mount the SD Card as a mass storage device on your computer for backing up preset banks, loading firmware updates, etc.

- I've got custom fonts working for the OLED displays, so a much improved UI layout is coming soon.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 05-29-2017, 11:04 AM

Hi Jim,

You mentioned 8 trigger outputs on the back. Presumably you have some expander modules planned to bring these out to the front. DIY-able ?

Do you plan to include a DrumSeq-type part within Vector's firmware ?
Old 05-31-2017, 11:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by somalenny View Post
You mentioned 8 trigger outputs on the back. Presumably you have some expander modules planned to bring these out to the front. DIY-able ?
Yes, and Yes -- You'll just need a panel w/ 8 jacks, appropriate wiring, etc.

I don't have a final schematic yet, but the full expander will include more CV as well.

Quote:
Do you plan to include a DrumSeq-type part within Vector's firmware ?
Yes! -- The UI isn't quite as natural for quick pattern programming as the launchpad, but I've been doing it w/ just gate control on a few tiptop drum modules, so it will be sort of the same thing, just 8 per sequence.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 06-02-2017, 08:09 AM

Excellent. That's a few more boxes ticked. :-)
Old 06-03-2017, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
Yes, and Yes -- You'll just need a panel w/ 8 jacks, appropriate wiring, etc.

I don't have a final schematic yet, but the full expander will include more CV as well.

Yes! -- The UI isn't quite as natural for quick pattern programming as the launchpad, but I've been doing it w/ just gate control on a few tiptop drum modules, so it will be sort of the same thing, just 8 per sequence.

Cheers,
Jim
Would be incredible if you could use the USB jack to plug in a Launchpad and program drum patterns just like on the software version of Numerolgy (sort of like the Monome modules).

Anyways, glad for more info on the Vector. I've been refreshing this page regularly
Old 06-05-2017, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF3 View Post
Would be incredible if you could use the USB jack to plug in a Launchpad and program drum patterns just like on the software version of Numerolgy (sort of like the Monome modules).
+1

This would definitely be cool when using Vector without access to a computer, though when used as a controller for Numerology, I'm wondering if there will be 2-way control. I.e. would a Launchpad connected to one's Mac (and Numerology) be able to control the Vector ?

Last edited by somalenny; 06-05-2017 at 05:55 AM.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:36 PM
Administrator

Quote:
+1

This would definitely be cool when using Vector without access to a computer, though when used as a controller for Numerology, I'm wondering if there will be 2-way control. I.e. would a Launchpad connected to one's Mac (and Numerology) be able to control the Vector ?
Nope, but the new hardware revision of the Vector has a USB A jack on it. Primarily it is to allow you to connect cheap/small MIDI keyboards for programming and controlling sequences, but it also offers the possibility of connecting a Launchpad -- but keep in mind that until I have verified it is workable, it is not a promised feature.

Jim
Old 08-03-2017, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
Nope, but the new hardware revision of the Vector has a USB A jack on it. Primarily it is to allow you to connect cheap/small MIDI keyboards for programming and controlling sequences, but it also offers the possibility of connecting a Launchpad -- but keep in mind that until I have verified it is workable, it is not a promised feature.

Jim

Launchpad integration would be so damn dope
Old 09-19-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztarman View Post
Launchpad integration would be so damn dope
Agreed. This would be a killer setup and much more affordable than a Monome grid which I was currently considering to pair with a Teletype/Ansible.