Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Techniques > Integration

Old 12-11-2008, 03:33 PM

Talking Logic pro 8

WHAT IS MODE TO USE NUMEROLOGY THROUGH LOGIC???
Old 12-11-2008, 05:50 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinapsya View Post
WHAT IS MODE TO USE NUMEROLOGY THROUGH LOGIC???
Two main options:

ReWire:
This is the easiest to setup, but means you have to host all your AU's in Logic.
- Install Numerology ReWire Driver (always be sure to use the same version of ReWire Driver and Numerology app).
- Start Logic first, then Numerology, which will open in "ReWire" mode.
- Use one of Numerology's virtual MIDI ports (or an IAC bus) to pipe MIDI into Logic.

MIDI Sync & Soundflower
This approach is a bit more work to setup, but is more flexible overall, and easy to deal with once working.
- Use MIDI Clock or MTC to sync Numerology & Logic-- see Chapter 14 of the doc (http://five12.com/doc/Sync.html).
- To pipe audio from Numerology into Logic, you can use an external audio loop (if you have a multichannel audio interface), or use Soundflower from Cycling74. Install it, set Numerology to use it for audio output, then set it as the input on one or more channels in Logic.

A third option: Sync-Free
This is the way I often work, by using Numerology as the composition tool, and a DAW as a tape-recorder: I do pattern-building in Numerology, then record parts into Digital Performer as needed, often doing 'live' arrangements with preset changes in the mixer. Then I do final mixing and mastering in DP.

BTW: I'm gonna move this thread to "Numerology: Integration" so other folks can find it easily.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 12-12-2008, 03:21 AM

Default rewire have any problems

the rewire have any problems and crash with phatmatik pro...
Old 12-13-2008, 01:18 AM

Default Num & Logic

Corlin here:
I do a lot of work in Logic, and find using the Rewire method not that effective. I mostly use Jim's idea of getting a lot of sequencing done in Num. then recording it and bouncing that to Logic for mix and final tweaks.

I have used both sunflower, and jack, to send audio live from Num into Logic, and then playing around with live instruments to add "sparkle", or to tweak a delay or pan or whatever.

I am not a trained musician, so keyboarding a melody in Logic is time consuming. I "compose" mostly algorithmically and Num lets me work the way I think. Logic is deep, and I could write a very long post on how not to use it! But I decided a long time ago that I had only one life time, and so I should learn only one DAW, deeply. I picked Logic.

Generally I think Num & Logic complement each other. I don't think I could be as creative without both.

One tip, Don't get to attached to any one method of working, some of the finest stuff comes out of just playing around, goofing off, doing something new and different. Num is just damn sweet for setting up a algorithmically very complex set and then playing around with one pram mod or another, that completely changes the whole. I have had many a day when just goofing around produced a theme that later became a work to be composted in Logic.

Try Sunflower or Jack
Old 12-13-2008, 04:11 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinapsya View Post
the rewire have any problems and crash with phatmatik pro...
The first thing I would recommend is to make sure you have the most recent version of both the app and the ReWire driver installed. The easiest way to do that is download the latest installer, and re-install both (you'll need to check the option to install the ReWire driver).

Next, whenever you have a crash of any sort, it is very important that you
email me the crash logs. Without them, I have now way of knowing what happened. For more details on sending them look here: http://www.five12.net/showthread.php?t=17

Jim
Old 12-16-2008, 04:16 AM

i can recommend using numerology in rewire mode. it works fine
Old 01-05-2009, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
- Use one of Numerology's virtual MIDI ports (or an IAC bus) to pipe MIDI into Logic.
I'm a total Logic nooby. How do I pipe midi from Numerology to a Logic instrument track (with a garageband instrument)? I have two mono note's in Numerology and two garageband instrument track in Logic. I want that the 1st mono note sends its midi to the 1st instrument, and the 2nd mono note to the send instrument. I managed to set this up by using the environment editor (but did not try to record the midi to the tracks), but isn't there an easier solution?
Old 01-05-2009, 01:22 AM
Numerologist

Default Logic easy

Hello Benny,

please have a look here:

Five12.net -- Online Community for Numerology Music Software
> Techniques > Integration > Recording N2 MIDI in Logic 8

There is a zip with a Logic Template that possible could help you also.

best
jue
Old 01-06-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jue View Post
Hello Benny,

please have a look here:

Five12.net -- Online Community for Numerology Music Software
> Techniques > Integration > Recording N2 MIDI in Logic 8

There is a zip with a Logic Template that possible could help you also.

best
jue
Tried the template, but coudn't get it to work. I think i'm going to play a bit with the Environment editor of Logic and try to make my own template (by the way: is there a way to set the output midi channel number in N2 and does anybothy know a good tutorial about the Logic environment editor (and before anybody says: yes, I've allready RTFM).
Old 01-06-2009, 05:10 PM
Numerologist

Default Next try with Logic8

Hello,

here is a zip that contains a Numerology project just with three MonoNotes sending MIDI on Channels 1 to 3.
And a Logic8 project with the template and three Logic instruments on track 1 to 3, MIDI 1 to 3.
This works here without problem.
Just load the 2 projects and start Numerologys transport.
Its just using Logic as host for the instruments, nothing more.
There is no sync between the programs, just sending MIDI from Numerology to Logic.
Possible you have to start Numerology first that Logic8 could see the Numerology MIDIoutputs.

best
jue
Attached Files
File Type: zip Numerology Logic Test.zip (46.4 KB, 87 views)