Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > File Exchange > Odds n Ends

Old 04-06-2013, 11:13 AM

Hey Wade,

I don't know if you already made your decision yet, but thought I'd share this. I recently upgraded to these monitors:

http://www.aps-company.pl/en/aeon.html

It was case where I got a phenomenal deal second hand, rather than that I was especially unhappy with my Focals.

Don't know what prices and availability are like where you are, but they're a Polish company and use (I believe) a Danish woofer/tweeter. So if you can find a good price, I'd definitely recommend this as a speaker to check out.

Compared to the Focals, they have a tighter and more focused bass that is more accurate where the Focals are slightly hyped. There is phenomenal mid clarity which I find makes mixing quicker and the high end is also extremely detailed.

They are a slightly fussy speaker, by which I mean you need to pay attention to setting them up and it's not an especially big sweet spot. Off axis I find there is a small bump around 3k which I'd likely find fatiguing but it's a very flat speaker in the sweet spot and I can work on them all day no problem.

I absolutely love them to mix on. Slightly quicker to work on than the Focals and I feel slightly more confident about the bottom end of my mixes in particular.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:20 PM

Funny coincidence, I just ordered a pair of APS Coax. Can't wait to receive them !
Old 04-09-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nil View Post
Funny coincidence, I just ordered a pair of APS Coax. Can't wait to receive them !
I strongly suspect you won't be disappointed!
Old 04-09-2013, 09:16 AM

I should receive them by Friday ! I'll break them in the whole week end : APS told me 15/20h should do the trick, but the more the better hehe . Can't wait !

I went for a sealed cabinet, even if they don't go deeper as ported monitors. I'm looking for accuracy/neutrality, fast transient response, no phase issues and great performance in nearfield/at quiet volume. And Coax seem to excel there.

I'll check the subs using headphone, no big deal.

I'll report as soon as I've done a couple of mixes on them !