Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Numerology > General Questions

Old 06-07-2016, 05:20 PM

Default MIDI FX version issue in Logic with Push + PXT

It's great that Numerology in its standalone host version now supports Push. But when using the MIDI FX plugin version of Numerology the Push support becomes a problem, since Push users on Logic tend to use the PXT-G utility to set up the Push as a controller keyboard instrument surface for Logic. And the Numerology MFX effectively ruins this by grabbing the Push with rude force.

Is there a way to turn off Push support just for the MIDI FX version?

It could still be cool to have it though, IF the Num MIDI FX plugin lets go of the Push when you select a Logic track that isn't using the Num plugin. Just so we can play instruments on other tracks normally.

Edit:
I just found a way switch the Push between following the Numerology MIDI plugin and acting as the keyboard controller for Logic. It was just a matter of pushing the "Scales" button! :-)

And I must add that I really appreciate this setup now! Thank you, Jim, for the awesome vision and hard work!
soundcloud.com/pboy

Last edited by Per Boysen; 06-08-2016 at 05:10 AM.
Old 06-08-2016, 07:14 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Boysen View Post
Edit:
[i]I just found a way switch the Push between following the Numerology MIDI plugin and acting as the keyboard controller for Logic. It was just a matter of pushing the "Scales" button! :-)
?
(which scales button, I'm curious -- or perhaps just had my head in too much code lately...)

Cheers,
Jim
Old 06-09-2016, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
?
(which scales button, I'm curious
The button I've marked with red below. What I have noticed is that my Push 1 tends to go into "Numerology mode", especially if selecting a track in Logic that hosts an instance of the Numerology MIDI Fx plugin. That's great - useful, fun and good looking! When I want to record MIDI into a non-Numerology track I just need to push that Scales button and the Push 1 switches back to the PXT-G mode (which includes all kind of scales layouts for live playing as well as my own custom buttons setup for certain Kontakt orchestral libraries I use a lot).

Another thing I've noticed is that the CPU use increases dramatically as soon as I assign a MIDI controller knob to any of the Numerology MFX parameters. So that's a no-no. But with Logic as the host that's not a problem since we have the option to use Logic's own MIDI plugins to control velocity for the full Logic track/part as graphical automation; and I think that's even better because for me such tweaks do come in late in the production process.

But there is one aspect of Num MFX that I can't access by any of Logic's MIDI plugins and that is "dynamic note duration control". A bit of a shame, since that is so simple to do in Numerology (but as said above, if I assign a MIDI CC to control that through Logic the CPU strain goes into the red. Maybe one can build a "dynamic note duration control" script in Logic's MIDI plugin Scripter? Not time for that at the moment but it is a good plan to keep at hand in case a rainy day and a time window should sail up in synchronizity :-) )

soundcloud.com/pboy