Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Numerology > General Questions

Old 04-23-2017, 11:41 PM

Default Clarification on MIDI transpose functionality

So there's the 'MIDI Transpose' off/on selector in the 'E' dialog box, and there's also a 'Trans' option under the input menu. Is there any difference between the two aside from the Input menu item suppressing throughput?

It appears that the octave and semitone offsets are disabled if MIDI Transpose is enabled. I say 'appears' because the octave offset did function for me briefly, although I haven't been able to reproduce ... IIRC, after initially loading the Ableton project with my working Numerology stack, my midi was transposed differently from where it was when I saved the file and I adjusted the offsets to be what I wanted, after which, it stopped working again. I'm hoping the offsets should still work while MIDI Transpose is enabled, and I'm either doing something wrong or it's a bug.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:04 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5tevens View Post
So there's the 'MIDI Transpose' off/on selector in the 'E' dialog box, and there's also a 'Trans' option under the input menu. Is there any difference between the two aside from the Input menu item suppressing throughput?
The "Input Menu" is new with the Performance Controller -- it simplifies moving between different ways of modifying the sequence from a MIDI Source: RT Rec, Step Rec, Transpose, etc. The "MIDI Transpose" option in the Run Mode Settings dialog is the old way. To maintain some level of compatibility between new and old, the Input Menu will modify the settings in the Run Mode dialog as appropriate -- which for "Trans" means turning MIDI transpose on and off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5tevens View Post
It appears that the octave and semitone offsets are disabled if MIDI Transpose is enabled. I say 'appears' because the octave offset did function for me briefly, although I haven't been able to reproduce ... IIRC, after initially loading the Ableton project with my working Numerology stack, my midi was transposed differently from where it was when I saved the file and I adjusted the offsets to be what I wanted, after which, it stopped working again. I'm hoping the offsets should still work while MIDI Transpose is enabled, and I'm either doing something wrong or it's a bug.
Re: semitone offset: It's a bug -- or specifically a "not yet fully formed feature". When adding the 'trans' mode for the performance controller, I had it directly change the Semitone Offset param -- which is good in that it provides direct visual feedback of what is happening, but not good in that it takes over that param from other uses.

It is also inconsistent: if you have midi trans on and feed midi directly to the midi input for the module, that transposition does *not* take over the semitone offset param.

My current thinking is becoming a bit more radical, but also more consistent in the end: When MIDI trans is on, it writes the transposition directly into the sequence. This makes it consistent with RT Rec and Step Rec: It is just another recording mode. And it enables a nice transposition trick: create a 1 bar sequence, double it twice -- now it's 4 bars, then use MIDI trans to add a chord progression.

Re: octave: there should not be any issues there. When I get back into updating the Perf Ctlr I'll be sure to check it.

Jim
Old 04-24-2017, 11:57 PM

See attached project file, top MonoNote transposes (sometimes) the bottom MonoNote.

Lower MonoNote:
Input menu set to Off, MIDI Transpose set to 'off' ... no transpose, 'Octave' and 'Semitone' menus function as expected (Numerology crashed when changing the value of the these several times.)

Input menu set to 'Trans,' MIDI Transpose set to 'off' ... no transpose, Octave / Semitone function as expected.

Input menu set to 'Off,' MIDI Transpose set to 'on' ... upper MonoNote transposes the lower MonoNote, Octave / Semitone non-functional.

Build 174
Attached Files
File Type: zip xpos_octave.nmp.zip (9.0 KB, 0 views)