Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Numerology > General Questions

Old 10-05-2011, 11:55 AM
Administrator

Default Lion....

Just wanted to call out to see who has moved to Lion and what their experience has been...

Thanks,
Jim
Old 10-05-2011, 01:13 PM

Ive had such a bad time supporting Lion in my day job, ive avoided it at home. It runs slower and is more finicky about disk i/o to my tastes.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:32 PM

I switched. OS X Lion runs as well if not better on my 2.4ghz/2gb MBP. The fan does not seem to come on as often, and overall the system is running smoothly. Typically I am running Reaper, Numerology and Maschine simultaneously in stand alone, with Jack DSP running at 48k/512. Though I am using Reaper less now.

I get some glitches when I first play patterns or samples in Maschine if Numerology is being a hog, but once it is up and running everything goes well. I might get a buffer disaster if Time Machine starts backing up and I've been working things hard, but other than that, things are running pretty smoothly.

I did a clean install from the start - new, larger primary hard drive (from 250gb to 500gb), and I have not migrated anything except working files. I reinstalled the software and plugins I use, so essentially the system has nothing to do the previous Snow Leopard install - it's completely fresh as if I bought a new mac with Lion pre-installed.

Last edited by foreward; 10-05-2011 at 02:36 PM.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:31 PM

I just upgraded and overall I like it a lot....three finger drag is great, it's a super great feeling way to patch! Downside is, the load time seems to be much slower. From around 5 secs to about 20. It seems like AUs are the cause. More reason to leave Numerology open all the time I suppose, but still.

On a more trivial note, more gestures would be great. Double click/tap on the top module lib type to expand. How about two finger sliding left or right to flip the stack? Three finger drag to move modules feels weird and it's still definitely easier to click/tap and drag.

ETA:
The new AU sampler doesn't really offer anything over numerology, but it's interesting in that it can import DLS instruments...might be cool to see this in Numerology's sampler....

Last edited by jonahs; 06-16-2012 at 07:05 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:05 PM

I've upgraded to Lion now. No problems as far as I can tell. I will report any issues.

Wade
Old 06-27-2012, 12:13 AM

I updatet to Lion - a must, as I do quite some iPhone development.

On my 2009 iBook it is about as fast as Snow Leopard - some things are slower, others are faster, overall I find it smoother. but I started out clean - installed on a new Snow Leopard installation. At work (iMac 2010 or so) I did the same.

I find it a bit consumerish, overall, but what I like about it, it moved further away from Windows and Linux in may ways. (scrolling direction - login screens, throwing away the notion of sized desktops for a more fluid one, etc.)

But, well, the question now should not concern Lion, but Mountain Lion, no?

That will be out soon. For me there will be now way around it. and as it will be a Lion Second edition, I hope it will be smoother (not that Lion is not smooth compared to desktop OSes - but compared to mobile device OSes ....)

best
Old 06-27-2012, 01:05 AM

I've updated to Lion too and i havent problem
DSI Mopho,Electribe Er-1 - Korg M3R - Korg wavestation A/D - Roland R8 Mk II - Korg A2 -Korg DSS1 - Korg Padkontrol - BCR 2000 - Novation Nocturne - some A100 modules- Numerology - Ableton live 6- Reaktor

http://www.quartzvisuals.com
http://dennisippolito.it