Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Numerology > Feature Requests

Old 01-05-2010, 10:28 AM

Default A Module like Catanya

Hi,

I'm really enjoying the Num 2.2. It's more complicated that I originally thought and takes a while to get into. I was wondering if its possible to configure the MatrixArpeggiator module to function like 7Aliens Catanya - http://www.7aliens.com/product-catanya.php

regards,

Sambo
Old 01-05-2010, 05:31 PM

You can do some similar (and stranger) things by combining modules, I would suggest checking out some of the example files posted by Jue on this forum!
Old 01-06-2010, 09:18 AM

I don't use any Windows-based DAWs other than Buzz (and it won't seem to wrap VSTs under Wine), so I can't say 100% on this. However, while I'm in the process of learning Numerology I've gotten it to do a lot of powerful and creative arpeggiator effects by combining modules. For the example that opened my eyes, check out the techniques video about discrete sequencing; an interval seq to change pitch and a seperate gate seq to trigger notes/note length at an odd, off number of steps creates a somewhat moving texture where no two notes are exactly the same, and that's just the tip of the massive iceberg of Numerology. The video adds two more interval sequencers to add even more variation, and even chord progression to what's going on.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:18 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambo View Post
Hi,

I'm really enjoying the Num 2.2. It's more complicated that I originally thought and takes a while to get into. I was wondering if its possible to configure the MatrixArpeggiator module to function like 7Aliens Catanya - http://www.7aliens.com/product-catanya.php
I expect that you can, but you may need to use more than one instance. For instance, to do something like what is going on in the Catanya demo video, you might use one MatrixArp for chord patterns, and another for the ostinatos.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 01-06-2010, 05:44 PM

Hi, - thanks for the replies.

Kodama & KrisM- I will have a look.

Jim - I'm assuming you'd need to feed two MatrixArp sequencers say from one Chord Sequencer.

I do have some questions & thoughts about Numerology.

1. It would be really good to be able to drive different parameters from the same LFO/sequencer - i.e. if I wanted to use a LFO to drive an end step parameter on one sequencer and then to use the same LFO to drive another end step parameter elsewhere. Currently as I understand it Numerology requires you to make two LFO's set the same way - not a huge problem but it does make things less slick. Perhaps I'm wrong about this...

2. As a technical exercise I've tried to convert a Mononote midi sequence output to CV's - intervals, gates, velocities and then convert it back again to midi - this is helpful in understanding how the conversion works and seeing how interchangeable the two formats are. But so far I cannot make a perfect translation to and from midi > CV > midi. Is this possible or have I misunderstood the differences in the two signals?
Old 01-15-2010, 08:40 AM

Quote:
1. It would be really good to be able to drive different parameters from the same LFO/sequencer - i.e. if I wanted to use a LFO to drive an end step parameter on one sequencer and then to use the same LFO to drive another end step parameter elsewhere. Currently as I understand it Numerology requires you to make two LFO's set the same way - not a huge problem but it does make things less slick. Perhaps I'm wrong about this...

2. As a technical exercise I've tried to convert a Mononote midi sequence output to CV's - intervals, gates, velocities and then convert it back again to midi - this is helpful in understanding how the conversion works and seeing how interchangeable the two formats are. But so far I cannot make a perfect translation to and from midi > CV > midi. Is this possible or have I misunderstood the differences in the two signals?
1: You can! :-)
You have to additionally insert one or more Parameter Modulation ('ParamMod') modules. Make sure your Library is set to Advanced (not Standard), then select ParamMod from the 'CV Processing' category.
Then, you need to make sure it is connected the way you want. Press the TAB button, or click on 'Routing' (tabs at the top of the stack) to 'look at the back', and connect the CV output of the LFO (or envelope, sequencer, i.e. whatever module that sends CV signals, also easily visible as orange wiring) to the CV input(s) of the ParamMod module. Then, press TAB again or click on Modules to 'go to the front' again, and choose the desired destination of the modulation CV signal. And don't be afraid to mangle the CV a bit further before sending it elsewhere. :-)

2: With monophonic MIDI parts, you can. So it should work with the MonoNote MIDI output, then a MIDI to CV, and then a NoteGen module, as far as straight MIDI notes go, at least. Then comes the tricky part (which may be what caught you): pitch bend (which should only be relevant to the MonoNote module if you use its Pitch Glide feature). This data first needs to be scaled (check out the Scale & Offset and/or SignalProc modules for this) to the proper pitch bender range, and then combined with the CV signal for interval as determined by the MIDI note number (i.e.. of course this also presumes [1] that MIDI pitch bend actually affects pitch, which needn't be true for all patches; [2] that upward and downward bend range are equal, which also needn't be true; and [3] that the pitch bend range is linear; so you'd also have to account for non-linear (e.g. exponential) pitch bend ranges and separate positive from negative pitch bend - all this is possible in Numerology I think, but it becomes much more complicated so let's ignore all that for now).

I will gladly post some pics and/or sample project later on if you don't figure it out; but I guess for your learning curve it would be much better to try yourself first, and feel free to ping for more help, ok?
Old 01-18-2010, 03:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:
As Sjoerd mentions, you can do this with individual ParamMod modules. It may seem a bit kludgy at first, but using a separate module for ParamMod is the most flexible. I'm thinking about ways to simplify and improve the built-in param mod options for the LFO, ModSeq & Envelope, but haven't made any decisions yet.

Quote:
This should totally be possible, but in recent testing I've found a conflict between the way that the MonoNote generates NoteOff messages in legato mode, and how the MidiToCV module tracks incoming MIDI. I'll be looking into that this week.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 01-27-2010, 11:25 AM

Hi Jim and Sjoerd - thanks for your replies - really helpful.

Your workflow for linking parameters to a single modulator is ingenious but I was thinking to be able to link to any pre-existing modulator from inside the modulator creation menu - as follows - this would be especially cool if we could link across stacks.

Old 02-02-2010, 03:01 PM

Nice, thats pretty clever. Good suggestions sambo