Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Numerology > General Questions

Old 12-10-2019, 11:05 PM

Default Applied latest Mojave security update, no longer able to open Numerology files

Updated to 10.14.6, after the update, Numerology will not open any of my project files and I have to force-quit after attempting. I can do 'new project' just fine.
Old 12-11-2019, 10:55 AM

I'm using 4.2/183. I don't think it's something in my files, as I did 'new project,' saved it without adding/changing anything, and was unable to load it similarly to all my other files.
Old 12-11-2019, 01:06 PM
Administrator

Email me a copy of one of the project files that has the issue: jim (at) five12 (dot) com.

Thanks!
Jim
Old 12-11-2019, 06:06 PM

waiting to install latest security update until i hear news in this thread. security updates are a bit notorious for freaking out various things. FW coreaudio drivers etc.
Old 12-11-2019, 11:39 PM

The problem turned out to be caused by my Virus TI. Which was the first thing I suspected, but I tried it with Ableton and it was fine. I can use it as an audio interface with Numerology after re-installing its drivers, but trying load the plugin crashes Numerology immediately, kills Numerology internally and only leaves the gui functional, or something else bad (before the re-install, just having it set as the audio output was making Numerology go braindead, at least that's what I think was going on.) I haven't touched the Virus in several years because of problems like these, but I recently set it up in my office to use with Numerology on my laptop. The "Total Integration" has various audio sync problems unless the Virus is being used as the system audio interface because Access cheaped-out on a timing-related chip, so it's been useless in my studio with my RME interfaces.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:14 PM

I tested this a bit more, and I don't think it's the Virus drivers, at least not entirely. Numerology functions as expected with the Virus TI plugin as long as I'm not also using the Virus for audio I/O. I've tried various buffer sizes, as well both the "CoreAudio" and "bit-accurate" options. Before testing, I removed all Numerology files and re-installed, I also re-installed the Virus software. I thought Numerology would just hang with a responsive but non-functional gui, but I left it sit and it did crash after a while, so you should have a crash report (I believe those get sent to you automatically, can't remember for sure.) I can send you a saved project file if you'd like, presumably the crash report will be more instructive.

The Virus plugin does function as intended in Ableton while using the Virus for audio I/O. Perhaps you're using an API call they're not and Apple surprise-changed it or something.

I'm not super compelled to get this fixed if it's only a Virus Thing, I believe Access has abandoned it on OS X and I can finally drop trying to get some use out of it.
Old 12-15-2019, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5tevens View Post
I tested this a bit more, and I don't think it's the Virus drivers, at least not entirely. Numerology functions as expected with the Virus TI plugin as long as I'm not also using the Virus for audio I/O. I've tried various buffer sizes, as well both the "CoreAudio" and "bit-accurate" options. Before testing, I removed all Numerology files and re-installed, I also re-installed the Virus software. I thought Numerology would just hang with a responsive but non-functional gui, but I left it sit and it did crash after a while, so you should have a crash report (I believe those get sent to you automatically, can't remember for sure.) I can send you a saved project file if you'd like, presumably the crash report will be more instructive.

The Virus plugin does function as intended in Ableton while using the Virus for audio I/O. Perhaps you're using an API call they're not and Apple surprise-changed it or something.

I'm not super compelled to get this fixed if it's only a Virus Thing, I believe Access has abandoned it on OS X and I can finally drop trying to get some use out of it.
Hi All, Has it been determined for sure that it was the new Mojave update that has Numerology 183 become buggy ?
Thanks
Old 12-15-2019, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aramis View Post
Hi All, Has it been determined for sure that it was the new Mojave update that has Numerology 183 become buggy ?
Thanks
Well, I had been using Numerology with the Virus quite happily for around three weeks after bringing the Virus in to my office and starting a new project with it. I haven't used Numerology for a few years on the laptop. So it definitely seems that way, but that's only based on three weeks of daily usage without any problems.

I dug into the problems a bit more. The specific behavior is that I'm able to load the Virus plugin and use the synth in Numerology as-expected, but opening up a saved document with the Virus plugin crashes Numerology. I managed to get it working somehow, but it subsequently broke again after I changed the control rate, and I have been unable to fix it again (I tried a lot of things.)

I've had no problems using Numerology without the Virus, and the Virus works fine provided I use my laptop's built-in audio and not the Virus itself for I/O. The Virus works just fine with both Ableton and Logic.
Old 12-17-2019, 01:01 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5tevens View Post
Well, I had been using Numerology with the Virus quite happily for around three weeks after bringing the Virus in to my office and starting a new project with it. I haven't used Numerology for a few years on the laptop. So it definitely seems that way, but that's only based on three weeks of daily usage without any problems.

I dug into the problems a bit more. The specific behavior is that I'm able to load the Virus plugin and use the synth in Numerology as-expected, but opening up a saved document with the Virus plugin crashes Numerology. I managed to get it working somehow, but it subsequently broke again after I changed the control rate, and I have been unable to fix it again (I tried a lot of things.)

I've had no problems using Numerology without the Virus, and the Virus works fine provided I use my laptop's built-in audio and not the Virus itself for I/O. The Virus works just fine with both Ableton and Logic.

... looking at the crash logs, the crash happens in code that processing MIDI Messages -- but I think it isn't the MIDI events that are the trigger, I think there is some other less-obvious cause that sets up the problem.

When you turned on audio w/ the Virus plugin, what was Numerology using for it's audio output?

Jim
Old 12-17-2019, 01:05 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aramis View Post
Thanks
Hard to say, but i've started to see things in Cocoa that worked fine for years no longer work reliably. I just sorted out such a problem with the N4 VST in Cubase (build up shortly).

Jim