Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Numerology > General Questions

Old 01-09-2009, 08:16 AM

Default AU in Rewire mode

Audio Units are disabled when you run Num in rewire mode. Is this because the DAW host (Logic or...) requires the AU "for it self" or is it something to be fixed in a future update of Num?

Its nice to play around just with Num and som plugins, and then later connect the hole session into Logic for mix. But now you have to port all AU plugins to Logic, saving presets, making midi busses etc.

Besides from that Num2 is really great. Thanks alot Jim.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:47 AM

Default found it

sorry, I found it. Its explained in the Num 2 Beta 30 release notes.
Still would be nice to be fixed at some point.

hi
Old 01-11-2009, 10:30 AM
Administrator

When hosting AU's in ReWire mode, there is a primary limitation, and several "gotcha" details. The primary limitation is that because the Numerology UI and the host app run in separate address spaces, you can't open the AU's edit window (almost all AU's require that their edit window and "render" component live in the same memory space).

The other main problem is that some AU's try to open up windows at inopportune points -- places where they really shouldn't, but do anyway. One of these is when the AU is initialized (which can happen when you use an unauthorized plugin), or when changing AU presets (if the AU uses samples and can't find them). For those reasons, I turned AU hosting in ReWire mode off -- better to not have a feature for a big release than have a flaky one. Nonetheless, most AU's, minus their edit windows, can work fine in ReWire mode, so I may add a preference to re-enable them in the future, with an appropriate warning. I am also working on some "alternative options"....

Cheers,
Jim

Tags
audiounits, logic, rewire