Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Numerology > General Questions

Old 10-22-2014, 06:57 AM

Default default project

Hi,

is it possible to save your own 'default project', i.e. the one that appears if you do 'new project' (as is my default for startup)

the reason i ask is, Id like to default midi out on the stack to None, rather than IAC Driver.

but then, this made me think, that actually Id quite to have a default, which includes my Virus as the midi input device etc.
I know this could get into an FR, for 'template projects', but i think a simple case of save the 'start up/new project' would be enough for many.

this is a bit different from opening last project for two reasons:
a) templates you need to use 'save as', so you don't accidentally overwrite it
b) if I've saved the project (using (a) ), i still want it to open the template next time I open N4, not the saved project.

reason, behind this, is as N4 is so quick to use, I usually just start blank each time, and drag in some pre made stacks... but currently I have to delete the existing stack, or change midi out.

* i was thinking perhaps a 'simple' implementation using a template folder ~/Music/Five12/Template?
e.g. if you open a project saved in the template folder, its considered a template, this names it "untitled" and disables save, so you have to use "save as..."
also when you do new project (or the equiv startup option), it looks for a project called 'template/default.nmp' and loads that.
(to save a template, you simply save it in the template folder)

also, something else I've 'noticed', I've 'auto saves' for untitled projects see to never get deleted.
I guess this is because I never save them, but I think they should be deleted when I exit N4, and say no to 'would you like to save' - bug?

its not 'big thing', but i just wondered if it was already possible, or perhaps its a very simple thing to do? (hmm, perhaps if i made a project read-only, it might force me to do save-as)

Last edited by TheTechnobear; 10-22-2014 at 07:10 AM.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:22 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTechnobear View Post
is it possible to save your own 'default project', i.e. the one that appears if you do 'new project' (as is my default for startup)

the reason i ask is, Id like to default midi out on the stack to None, rather than IAC Driver.

but then, this made me think, that actually Id quite to have a default, which includes my Virus as the midi input device etc.
I know this could get into an FR, for 'template projects', but i think a simple case of save the 'start up/new project' would be enough for many.

this is a bit different from opening last project for two reasons:
a) templates you need to use 'save as', so you don't accidentally overwrite it
b) if I've saved the project (using (a) ), i still want it to open the template next time I open N4, not the saved project.

reason, behind this, is as N4 is so quick to use, I usually just start blank each time, and drag in some pre made stacks... but currently I have to delete the existing stack, or change midi out.

* i was thinking perhaps a 'simple' implementation using a template folder ~/Music/Five12/Template?
e.g. if you open a project saved in the template folder, its considered a template, this names it "untitled" and disables save, so you have to use "save as..."
also when you do new project (or the equiv startup option), it looks for a project called 'template/default.nmp' and loads that.
(to save a template, you simply save it in the template folder)
There's no way to do that yet, but you're the 2nd to request it recently... Probably it would be the sort of thing where you can save-as a project as a template, it would go into a templates dir, and you would have to save-as any modified templates, etc... Also there would be a way to designate a template as the default for new projects...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTechnobear View Post
also, something else I've 'noticed', I've 'auto saves' for untitled projects see to never get deleted.
I guess this is because I never save them, but I think they should be deleted when I exit N4, and say no to 'would you like to save' - bug?
That does sound like a bug. I need to have the app auto-check after a crash if an auto-save file should be loaded, so I'll check to see what cleanup is appropriate for autosave files too....

Cheers,
Jim
Old 10-30-2014, 02:39 PM

I also like the idea of having a template!
Old 01-15-2015, 08:06 AM

Although not essential, I really like the idea of Template projects. It helps maintain two distinct creative processes for me: building and configuring the environment vs. playing and creating with an environment.

Allowing a Default Template would seal the deal.

This is my first post on the boards, and I've only used Num 4 for a couple of weeks now but I love it. That I can use my Push is off-the-charts! Great work, Jim.
Old 01-15-2015, 12:08 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitualAudio View Post
Although not essential, I really like the idea of Template projects. It helps maintain two distinct creative processes for me: building and configuring the environment vs. playing and creating with an environment.

Allowing a Default Template would seal the deal.
It is something that I tend to do as well, in an ad-hoc manner. I'll give it a bump on the feature list...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitualAudio View Post
This is my first post on the boards, and I've only used Num 4 for a couple of weeks now but I love it. That I can use my Push is off-the-charts! Great work, Jim.
Sweet, thanks!

Cheers,
Jim