Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Techniques > Integration

Old 03-06-2011, 01:50 PM

Default Rewire Mode with Ableton: Numerology projects and stacks not (re)loading properly.

Hello,
Here are some rewire problems I ran into:
First I open Live and then I open Numerology to have it running in Rewire mode. Every time I quit Numerology and try to open my Numerology project again, the application is starting up but the project isn't showing. So I have to quit Numerology which (randomly) crashes Live.
Then another thing (randomly) happens: after restarting Live and opening the latest Numerology project, I noticed that some stacks won't reload properly. (For example: I suddenly get a blank/altered DrumSeq Module while this module is sending the midi notes I programmed earlier and is playing the pattern properly. What's more, this stack isn't even 'running' but in pause mode.)

Anybody else already faced these 'oddities'? Any advice for a healthy Ableton/Numerology setup?
Thanks.
Tom

OS 10.6.6
Numerology 3.0.2 (build 34) [SE]
Ableton Live 8.2.1
Launchpad is set up for Numerology
Nocturn (Automap) is set up for Ableton.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:45 PM
Administrator

If you have the Numerology 2 ReWire Driver installed, delete it. It is this file:

<your hard drive>/Library/Application Support/Propellerhead Software/ReWire/NumerologyReWireDevice.plugin

I thought I'd caught all the conflicts with the N2 ReWire Driver, but I may have missed one.

Then, email me the last few crash logs for Live. They will be in
<your home dir>/Library/Logs/Diagnostic Reports.

(jim <at> five12 <dot> com)

Thanks!
Jim
Old 03-07-2011, 12:46 AM

Thanks for your quick reply, Jim.

I deleted the NumerologyReWireDevice.plugin.
This is what's left in that Rewire Folder now:
- AutomapServerEngine.bundle
- Numerology3ReWireDevice.plugin
- ReWire.bundle

I then restarted the computer and did a quick test. One problem persists: when I quit Numerology (in rewire mode) I can restart but I cannot open a project.

I sent you a Live crash log.
Tom
Old 03-07-2011, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by super8trash View Post
Any advice for a healthy Ableton/Numerology setup?
FWIW, when using Numerology + Live, I avoid Rewire. In fact, I always avoid Rewire, even though I can't even remember what made me dislike Rewire so much in the first place.

I have told Live to not use Rewire mode at all (by adding the line "-ReWireMasterOff" to ~/Library/Preferences/Ableton/Live 8.2.2b4/Options.txt -- adjust the path for different versions of Live), so I can open Numerology when Live is running, without Numerology entering into Rewire mode.

I use IAC for sending MIDI from Numerology to Live. I typically don't route audio between apps, but if it is needed, I use Soundflower (I haven't ever been able to get Jack working nicely on any of my systems).

Then I use MTC for clock sync, with Numerology as master, manually setting matching BPMs on both apps.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:34 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Thanks for your quick reply, Jim.

I deleted the NumerologyReWireDevice.plugin.
This is what's left in that Rewire Folder now:
- AutomapServerEngine.bundle
- Numerology3ReWireDevice.plugin
- ReWire.bundle

I then restarted the computer and did a quick test. One problem persists: when I quit Numerology (in rewire mode) I can restart but I cannot open a project.

I sent you a Live crash log.
Tom
Groovy, thanks for the extra info, I'm on it. Ping me if you do not hear anything by Wednesday.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 03-07-2011, 12:31 PM

Thanks, Jim.
Looking forward to hearing more about this.
And thanks for the tip, Sjoerd. I'm re-reading those App Integration, Synchronization & Rewire chapters right now. (Would you mind explaining why you chose to go with MTC instead of MIDI Clock?)
Old 03-09-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Would you mind explaining why you chose to go with MTC instead of MIDI Clock?
I have not measured it and do not usually use more than one sequencer app simultaneously (I prefer to record/export both audio recordings and MIDI), but I typically had more stable results with MTC (and SPP to move around, although not so much with Numerology as in general).