Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Numerology > Feature Requests

Old 02-08-2013, 02:03 PM

Default Mono Audio Stack Output

I know this subject has been discussed before, but it would be awesome if Stacks would support mono audio output. I'm using an Expert Sleepers ES-3 and my workaround has been to use Numerology as a plug in Ableton for mono audio. Any plans to implement this in 4?

Cheers
Old 02-08-2013, 06:51 PM
Administrator

I can't say yet -- But if I do add mono busses, I'll add surround ones as well...

Also: if you run into a specific routing problem, let me know. Between the Monoizer for extracting mono from stereo, and the Audio Mixer for going the other way, you should be covered...

Cheers,
Jim
Old 02-09-2013, 02:10 AM

Thanks Jim.

Maybe I'm over-thinking this one. If I used a SW LFO for instance, then just pan the Stack audio output hard left, then choose 1/2 on the ES-3.... I should get the LFO just on 1. Will it do crazy stuff to the CV like rectify it? Hmmm? Gonna have to try this when I get a minute.

EDIT:
Tried it, works awesome. Made a 4 track Trigger sequencer using a DrumSeq, SW Trigger modules, Audio Output modules and Pan & Volume modules. SW LFO's work fine with the Stack output panned hard too. I'm always amazed at what can be pull off with Numerology and a little lateral thinking. Great work Jim.

Cheers

ps. Mono audio support would still be incredible.

Last edited by CF3; 02-09-2013 at 03:38 AM.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:40 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF3 View Post
Maybe I'm over-thinking this one. If I used a SW LFO for instance, then just pan the Stack audio output hard left, then choose 1/2 on the ES-3.... I should get the LFO just on 1. Will it do crazy stuff to the CV like rectify it? Hmmm? Gonna have to try this when I get a minute.

EDIT:
Tried it, works awesome. Made a 4 track Trigger sequencer using a DrumSeq, SW Trigger modules, Audio Output modules and Pan & Volume modules. SW LFO's work fine with the Stack output panned hard too. I'm always amazed at what can be pull off with Numerology and a little lateral thinking. Great work Jim.
Groovy.... (and apologies for missing this post...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF3 View Post
ps. Mono audio support would still be incredible.
It will happen around the same time as surround support -- which will happen eventually as I want real quad for my 4 studio monitors...

Cheers,
Jim
Old 02-23-2014, 06:24 PM

I'd also love to be able to route mono channels, specifically into Expert Sleepers Silent Way Voice Controller instances. As far as I can tell, hosting Voice Controllers in Numerology 4 Pro results in only being able to use every other analog output of my MOTU 828mk3 for analog CV outs to my analog synth. If I choose output pair 3-4 for the audio input that corresponds to analog output 1 and it leaves me unable to use analog output 2. Output pair 5-6 in numerology corresponds to analog output 3 on the MOTU and using that pair leaves analog out 4 on the MOTU unusable.

If mono audio in Numerology is too much work, could there be some sort of hack where Silent Way Voice Controllers could be instantiated with mono ins and outs? There's probably a lot to doing something like that, but I can always hope that it would be a simple thing to do. :-)
Old 02-27-2014, 05:02 PM
Administrator

I'm working on a L/R switch for the audio input on the SW VC modules this week. On the output side for those modules, if you only want to use one half of a stereo pair, just tweak the AU's params such that there is no output for the un-used channel. For instance, to free up the right channel for the first pair of outputs, override the Gate output, but keep the manual Gate value at 0.0.

Now reusing that channel for something else w/ SilentWay can be a bit tricky, I'll admit that, but there is usually a workaround, esp. if you are using any of the other SW modules, or Numerology's own CV2Audio module.

In general, you can use the Mono Extraction module to sort out a single channel on the input to anything, and the Pan & Volume module on the output side. It isn't as elegant as direct support, but it does work. I'd love to add proper Mono (and surround) support, but it will have to wait a bit...

Cheers,
Jim
Old 02-27-2014, 09:17 PM

Very nice! That sounds very workable. Thanks very much Jim, both for this particular workaround and for Numerology in general. I hope it's not too much of a nightmare to add the code and controls.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:58 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamp View Post
Very nice! That sounds very workable. Thanks very much Jim, both for this particular workaround and for Numerology in general. I hope it's not too much of a nightmare to add the code and controls.
Actually it wasn't bad at all -- and it gave me some very useful insight on how to manage mono/multi-channel routing. The idea is that all audio busses are treated the same, just that they may have anywhere from 1 to perhaps 8 internal channels. On each routing connection there is the option to determine how to interpret those channels -- as mono, as stereo, etc. I can't say yet if that would really work, but it gives me hope for having a solution that is both easy to implement and easy to use...

Cheers,
Jim
Old 03-07-2014, 09:55 PM
Administrator

Have just tested and verified the 'input channel config' menu works on the SW Voice Controller module -- so now you can easily calibrate from an input on both odd-numbered inputs (i.e. "left" channels), and even-numbered inputs ("right" channels). Will be out w/ build 132.

One other tip on this front: If you use the 'effect' version of the Silent Way Voice Controller plugin, you get a 'plain' version of the module w/o front-panel I/O menus. It takes a bit more work to set it up (Use Audio In & Out modules), but it means you can fully customize the output routing -- by using the Monoizer and Volume & Pan modules.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 03-08-2014, 02:29 PM

Wonderful! Thanks so much for this! I hope that this brings you some more sales to Silent Way users who will now be able to use more of their analog outputs.