Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Techniques > Integration

Old 08-19-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens Groh View Post
Ha! - no problem to take you serious, Sjoerd. That EEG stuff has been on my interesting things list for some time -- I actually think I could use it as a musical "brain extender". Although, rather for more connectionist-style concepts of music making, like teachable algorithmic composition. I have done the latter, and the brain connection idea is intriguing. And yes, globally interconnecting could help there, I have thought about a networked version. But the idea to transfer the possibilities to synth/sequencer patching is interesting, too. Any solution approaches beyond "hack it"? Unfortunately, there is still a brain limit problem: It would take time to do it right (trust my experience as an engineer), and there are some other interesting ideas in my head competing for "CPU time". Do you have a good example for how this Emotiv device has solved a complexity problem, or even a time problem? I mean, not just a coolness problem. Have YOU done something with it?
Heh, unfortunately not yet. I have way too many things on my todo/dowant/shopping lists, probably like most of us here.
Well, a simple conceptual setup would be just to tap into the different readouts the headset & SDK provide, scale and convert those to some suitable MIDI / OSC parameters, and forward them somewhere. So, for example, one could play a guitar or synth as normal, and use the Emotiv headset as an additional controller. For example: hook 'agression', route to some distortion/overdrive plugin. Hook touted lips, route to wahwah. Hook smile, route to filter cutoff. Hook left & right eye winks, route to delay tempo tapping. Etc. etc... Since such 'controller' type of setups allow one to use more bodily functions simultaneously, to some extent they solve both some time and complexity problems. Not sure about the coolness problems though. Maybe just hide it under a tinfoil wrap.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Boysen View Post
Oh, sorry! I mostly read this forum externally by Gmail.

[...]
No problem mate. And thanks very much for your explanation; I will give it another try soon. Last time I couldn't wrap my head around it - I probably have just been looking at it the wrong way.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjoerd View Post
Well, a simple conceptual setup would be just to tap into the different readouts the headset & SDK provide, scale and convert those to some suitable MIDI / OSC parameters, and forward them somewhere. So, for example, one could play a guitar or synth as normal, and use the Emotiv headset as an additional controller. For example: hook 'agression', route to some distortion/overdrive plugin. Hook touted lips, route to wahwah. Hook smile, route to filter cutoff. Hook left & right eye winks, route to delay tempo tapping. Etc. etc...
Hm, yes, could be worth a try.
I imagine, if I had a machine learning software that monitors all my normal user interface actions all the time while it gets the EEG data and maybe some additional input by me that tells it just a "good/bad" value, then it should be able to associate all that information after a while, so that it "knows", or can predict, when I intend a certain action. For example: "At the next 8-bars loop end, switch to a less dense pattern". Do you know whether the Emotiv SDK already has some "good/bad" or "yes/no" output?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjoerd View Post
Not sure about the coolness problems though. Maybe just hide it under a tinfoil wrap.
Or maybe just the opposite? Add lots of blinking blue LED's (hmm, aren't ultraviolet LED's even cooler? ) and wires (no one knows they are just for the LED's), and tell the audience an exciting story about your brainwave concept...Hmmm, is this idea maybe even good enough to make the EEG control superfluous?