Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Numerology > General Questions

Old 12-19-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
As most DAWs do have multi-threaded rendering, the default answer is yes, put FX in the DAW, but there are always other considerations. If you have a dual-core machine (but not an i5 or i7), then the computer can only efficiently run two threads at once, and as the UI thread for any music app tends to be pretty busy, there is a much shorter limit to the benefits of a multi-threaded render there. On a 4+ core system, it is a different story. . . .
Jim, I have an i7 (after convincing my g/f to help me upgrade so she can have my dual. :-).

How would that change the way I work and the workflow options?

Thanks!
Old 12-20-2011, 05:10 PM

Created a workflow thread: http://five12.net/showthread.php?t=1774

Closing this thread for consolidation purposes.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:47 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Zai View Post
Jim, I have an i7 (after convincing my g/f to help me upgrade so she can have my dual. :-).

How would that change the way I work and the workflow options?

Thanks!
Well, if you're using N3 and Logic at the same time, then try to keep the most expensive synths in Logic. Also, here are a few general tips:

- Reboot before a big session. That ensures that nothing is sucking up all the CPU and/or memory without you knowing it. Web browsers are *especially* bad about this.

- Keep your boot and working hard drives (i.e. where tracks go) as empty as possible -- 50% is ideal. Once any hard drive is 50% full, the performance starts to drop significantly. Now it isn't like a drive that is 80% full isn't going to work, but it will be a touch less responsive than one at 50%.

- Follow the "mis en place" methodology: when you are planning a creative session, spend some time well before that session (a few hours to a day) making sure the main things you expect to need are setup -- but don't try to do too much. For each 'tech' session, pick 1 to 3 tasks and just do those.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 12-22-2011, 05:27 PM

Super Advice . . . and I will take it! Right now my hard drive is at 40% available. I can easily free up another 10% or so. Half is easy to negotiate and maintain.