Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Numerology > General Questions

Old 01-06-2011, 06:04 PM

Default AU to play back a MIDI file

Does anyone know of an AU that will play back a MIDI file?

The reason I ask is that I improvise with sequences a lot using N3, but I also play lines with a keyboard. Numerology lets me record what I played on keyboard, which is fantastic - but I can't use that MIDI file in N3. ( would be nice if I could )

So is there an AU that I can use to play back MIDI files within N3 ? I've tried to google but heh, searching "AU MIDI file play" etc gets all kinds of hits naturally but not what I'm after.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:03 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by circuit View Post
The reason I ask is that I improvise with sequences a lot using N3, but I also play lines with a keyboard. Numerology lets me record what I played on keyboard, which is fantastic - but I can't use that MIDI file in N3. ( would be nice if I could )
Indeed -- it will happen....

Quote:
So is there an AU that I can use to play back MIDI files within N3 ? I've tried to google but heh, searching "AU MIDI file play" etc gets all kinds of hits naturally but not what I'm after.
I don't know of any that just play MIDI files, but there are some that have built-in sequencers that can probably load MIDI, I'm thinking of Geist and Maschine, though that's probably more than you want....

Cheers,
Jim
Old 01-06-2011, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
Indeed -- it will happen....
Great! Do you take bribes?
Old 01-07-2011, 10:07 AM

Great to hear that there will be midifile import/player/or whatever, but you can also try EZplayer pro, - no wait, uh...no. No demo, and of course Numerology is not listed as a supported application. Maybe Jim could get a testrun from them, cause I would not shell out that much for something that may not work at all with Numerology.

http://www.toontrack.com/products.asp?item=27

A bit strange actually, that there is not a free or a very cheap simple AU that can play synced midifiles.

Last edited by lut lei; 01-07-2011 at 10:07 AM. Reason: spelling of course;)
Old 01-07-2011, 02:54 PM

Hey thanks Lut Lei, EZPlayer looks good for this purpose even though their focus seems to be on it playing drum/percussive MIDI files. I've asked them about N3 or a demo on their pre-sales forum. cheers

(edit) - ouch - just found this in a computer music review:
"At present, EZplayer Pro doesn’t actually sync to your host, but Toontrack say that this functionality will be added to the app in an imminent update."
Doesn't sync?? Makes it almost useless then, what a pity.

Last edited by circuit; 01-07-2011 at 03:04 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:01 PM

Yeah. It looks really good, but...

Won`t sync to your host? Without doing any more research that seems very strange? It must be synced in some way, maybe not locked to the transport, meaning if you start of at bar 54, or something, its internal sequencer wont follow, but it sure must follow the tempo and respond to start&stop. But I`m a bit hesistant myself, cause I think the software itself hasn`t been updated in a while.

Its focus on drums shouldn`t be a problem, though. It`s all just midi.

It seems to have a lot of potential and a nice website, - he,he, - but I`m a bit suspicious. Could be a great companion to Numer, but...

I researched it a year ago, or something, and fell down to the conclusion that it was not going to be actively updated, and therefore dropped it. Maybe it has been updated. I don`t know, at least the website has been. But then again. I have Phatmatic Pro, and that is still working good, even though it`s not been upadet for many years.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:16 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Great! Do you take bribes?
Not necessary... The MIDI record/import function will actually be a part of something even more interesting...

Cheers,
Jim
Old 01-12-2011, 12:05 PM

Strange isn't it? I went on a similar search/quest a while back for same reason and was as much surprised at this lack of an available plug-in (free or purchase) for such a utility function? (speaking of generic AU plug-ins, not Numerology ;-))

I was able to eventually accomplish this via Native Instrument's 'Kore 2' which DOES have an internal MIDI Player...sadly my version, the 'Software Edition' seems to no longer be available so an expensive solution if you have no desire for the hardware controller already.

btw, as an afterthought to this Jim (with a hope for possible cryptic hint of possibility)...any plans of ever of allowing a MIDI file to be imported AND then ability to 'mutate' that file??? That would be simply marvelous and mind altering

Last edited by Loopy C; 01-12-2011 at 12:09 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:41 PM

Yes the lack of such a plug-in is baffling. No reply from ToonTrack either on their presales forum so it looks like that's not an option.

If we could import a midi file into a player in N3 then we could easily mutate the output by directing it into existing numerology devices.

While we're at it jim, perhaps future plans for said midi file player could include basic piano roll editing (nudge a note, shift it or edit velocity etc)
Old 01-12-2011, 01:58 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy C View Post
btw, as an afterthought to this Jim (with a hope for possible cryptic hint of possibility)...any plans of ever of allowing a MIDI file to be imported AND then ability to 'mutate' that file??? That would be simply marvelous and mind altering
Yes, definitely...

Cheers,
Jim