Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum


Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Numerology > General Questions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 08-18-2011, 06:07 AM
Lücke Lücke is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 21
Default

What about a momentary navigator layer?
But I see how this is much less easy to accomplish than the LP control... only one color too... I'd rather want to read what i'm navigating on my Iphone I guess..
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-18-2011, 12:50 PM
numer numer is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 18
Default

monome 64 user here,

also korg padkontrol- which I love the feel of the best
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-18-2011, 02:17 PM
jim jim is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 4,529
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lücke View Post
What about a momentary navigator layer?
I had considered that, but there is no easy way to trigger one without causing problems for the major edit modes -- especially on an 8x8 grid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lücke View Post
But I see how this is much less easy to accomplish than the LP control... only one color too... I'd rather want to read what i'm navigating on my Iphone I guess..
Bingo -- having text labels & direct access buttons for navigation will make a multi-page mapping for a (mostly) mono-chromatic grid much easier to live with.

Cheers,
Jim
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-18-2011, 02:53 PM
Lücke Lücke is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 21
Default

Thanks Jim!! I'm so excited! =)
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-18-2011, 02:53 PM
him66 him66 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 7
Default

I don´t know anything about developing apps, so maybe I am asking something stupid.
Wouldn´t it be an idea to integrate control features of Numerology into Pages, or create something similar like pages:
"Pages is a monome application that allows the simultaneous execution of multiple other monome applications on any number of devices"

As a user of pages, I can switch between different pages, that hold different apps and that all on the monome (it has a configurable button press delay, so that it doesn´t
conflict with some monome apps) Really great to use!!
http://docs.monome.org/doku.php?id=appages
Discussion here:
http://post.monome.org/comments.php?...D=9603&page=23

BTW.: Phortran, who made pages is really nice and does a very good job on support and requests...., and we are just discussing if he should accept donations. Maybe he would like the idea of a cooperation?!

Last edited by him66; 08-18-2011 at 03:24 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-18-2011, 05:01 PM
jim jim is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 4,529
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by him66 View Post
I don´t know anything about developing apps, so maybe I am asking something stupid.
Wouldn´t it be an idea to integrate control features of Numerology into Pages, or create something similar like pages:
"Pages is a monome application that allows the simultaneous execution of multiple other monome applications on any number of devices"

As a user of pages, I can switch between different pages, that hold different apps and that all on the monome (it has a configurable button press delay, so that it doesn´t
conflict with some monome apps) Really great to use!!
http://docs.monome.org/doku.php?id=appages
Discussion here:
http://post.monome.org/comments.php?...D=9603&page=23

BTW.: Phortran, who made pages is really nice and does a very good job on support and requests...., and we are just discussing if he should accept donations. Maybe he would like the idea of a cooperation?!
Pages could be very useful to have the N3 mapping running concurrently with other Monome apps, but it is very important that the grid size for Numerology is an even multiple of 8x8, otherwise things like mapping a 16-step 4-part drum pattern are no longer possible.

Another trick that would be handy is to sub-divide a 265 into sub-grids: you could use an 8x16 section for editing, then (with some programming) use an 8x8 section for navigation, and the last 8x8 for something else. Or use each sub-section as its own editor (MonoNote, DrumSeq, PolyNote, etc..), with an iOS 'multi-controller', etc.

However, one of my overriding concerns is managing complexity: with so may mapped pages and modules available, just keeping the "where am I" context can become a big issue -- thus the iOS control option...

Cheers,
Jim
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-18-2011, 07:16 PM
Lücke Lücke is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 21
Default

Wait, now I tasted blood with the split mode, seriously!!! :-p
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-19-2011, 01:28 AM
him66 him66 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 7
Default

Thanks Jim.
Well that sounds like a promising future for Numerology and the monome.
Regarding the button press hassle and not knowing where you are on a device like monome, LP, etc.:
I think I got used to remember complex apps with many different
button presses on the monome, for me it is just a matter of time to remember them, but I understand your point of view to keep it as simple as possible.
On the LP I had to get used to not see the colors, cause I am colorblind.
I guess handicapped people develope special techniques to deal with certain limits they face in daily life.

Last edited by him66; 08-19-2011 at 01:31 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-03-2011, 03:38 AM
mrboni mrboni is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 48
Default

Nice to see there's been some chat about this.

I'm using a 128.

Would be happy with iOS control as long as there was an alternative method also (don't want to rely on having an iphone handy!).

It'd be nice if there was a way to map parameters to any additional controls one might have (I've got two lovely big encoders on my 128)

Live playability is also a priority for me, along with a sense of immediacy when using.

Can't wait!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-04-2011, 10:31 AM
jim jim is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 4,529
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboni View Post
Would be happy with iOS control as long as there was an alternative method also (don't want to rely on having an iphone handy!).
Alternatives would include a MIDI controller or possibly splitting the 128 into two halves (navigation and edit). You will need something. Possibly there could be a navigation panel on the computer, but then that reduces the immediacy of using a hardware controller significantly.

Cheers,
Jim
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.