Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Numerology > General Questions

Old 03-08-2009, 09:09 AM

Default Generative stack ?

I try to make a kind of generative stack but... lack of ideas. I broke my brain !

I think I'll try again with Pure Data but I've no time for it, I want to make this with N2.

Some ideas ?
Old 03-08-2009, 10:27 AM
Administrator

No problemo... Give me a rough idea of what you want to hear, and what sort of controls you want to have over it...

Jim
Old 03-08-2009, 10:39 AM
Numerologist

Hello,
could you please explain a little more what you mean with a generative stack.
You could do a lot of things with Numerology from generating melodies to rythems or modulation CVs.
best
jue
Old 03-09-2009, 03:30 PM

I have not a definite idea.

In theory, generative music is a kind of music that could change every x-time, with modulations and events based on likelihood (google translate...). Autechre use a Max/MSP patch like that. Brian Eno popularized that.

Here's a link on Wikipedia which explain a bit the generative mind.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generative_music

Hem... I'm sure I can make this with N2 because I saw modules that I can have generative fun with. But I still how do not know how to "rank", or "line up" them to make a great generative system.

I thought takin' midi-routing-modules and modulate them with a random LFO but it's too random and not even controlled.

It's the thing : I want to make controlled-random-music. It's the first thing in my mind at morning. (after coffee.)

EDIT :

Hum... Maybe it can be useful.

I would like to have X sounds. These X sounds would be chosen to a threshold of likelihood, and I could definite them with a few faders. Rhaaa I don't have a definite idea, like I said above.

EDIT :

Jue ? How do you put the userbar into your signature in this forum ?

Last edited by M.A.N.U.; 03-09-2009 at 03:37 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:08 PM

so you are interested in what numerology is very good at... controlled randomness or how you want to call it.

there are many things that you can do with n2īs basic midi gernerators that can be very, well, generative, yet controlled.
did you check out the techniques videos? you can learn a lot from them and see how easy it is to do this stuff.

maybe we should discuss this on a more specific example.
letīs build some stacks in n2. a lead, a pad, a bass and a drum stack for example. the lead, bass and pad could be dependant of each other in pitch and melody. the drum stack can do itīs own generative thing.

is there a style, you are going for? generative ambient maybe? name some artists that you like who do this kind of thing. maybe we could build this thing together.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:36 PM

Quote:
is there a style, you are going for? generative ambient maybe? name some artists that you like who do this kind of thing. maybe we could build this thing together.
I'm into very abstract electronic stuff like Autechre, Richard Devine and many others. And I'm also into more powerful things with fat basses and many kick drums. My mind's music is a kind of way between these genres.

I still don't heard this music. So I want to create it. I thought to buy Max/MSP a few monthes ago, but I bought a nord rack 2X and I found my sounds, cold and made in the north. Perfect :-)

I'm not at home for a week (I work for a band), on next tuesday I'll think about a nice stack and maybe we could exchange some ideas
Old 03-09-2009, 06:53 PM

ok then, letīs try this next week.

iīm also into autechre and have seen them a few times playing live. but i can tell you upfront that itīs pretty complicated to achieve such complex soundscapes.

you first have to analyze this music and have to think about how everything is built from the ground up and i can tell you, there are quite some wicked techniques and a lot of effects involved...

iīve seen that there are some max and reaktor patches that try to achieve this kind of generative thing.

but it could be pretty interesting to try and build something like that in numerology.
maybe there are more people who would like to help. iīm not a numerology veteran, iīm pretty new to the software myself.

anyone else in the boat for this?
Old 03-10-2009, 03:05 AM
Numerologist

Default jump in the boat

Hello,

will jump in the boat here.
Can you tell me some examples from autechre to listen what you all talk about.
I am not familar to this kind of music but will listen and think about it.

For the userbar into my signature: User CP --> Edit Signature --> upload picture....

Hope the use is alowed?

best
jue
Old 03-10-2009, 10:23 AM

cool jue!

so autechreīs style is ranging from intelligent ambient tunes to pretty abstract atonal stuff, wich is sometimes even hard to listen to.
here are some links to get an impression.

http://www.myspace.com/myslb

http://www.vimeo.com/2023636

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Omw9RUC5kCI

the last video is from a live gig. live they are a bit more straight iīd say, the rythms are a bit more groove oriented, but complicated and sometimes "hard to get" nontheless. whatīs striking in the live show is their bass, which is usually extremely catching. they have an amazing sound and people are screaming all the time, which you can hear in the video.

so letīs analyze and try to simulate these complex rhythms with numerology...
Old 03-10-2009, 10:54 AM

I'd be interested in jumping in to this also. I'm a brand-new Numerology user (just bought it over the weekend), and I'm hoping to explore some minimal/glitch/idm/whatever-it's-called-today noise creation.

The thing about AE is that there's this net-wide assumption that much of their music is random, or generative. However in several interviews, they claim that it's quite the opposite and most of their unique sounds come from circuit-bent hardware effects and large amounts of parameter automation tweaking in Logic. Then again, they're also very vague with their answers.

How about we pick a tune and try to emulate a particular sound or phrase or something?

-pete-