Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Numerology > General Questions

Old 02-26-2010, 05:09 PM

Default keeping complex sequence in the same rhythmic groove

So, now that I've been playing with the launchpad stuff, I've found myself fiddling a lot more with the note length, repeat, and divide settings. I never fiddled with these too much before because it seemed so hard to keep things locked together rhythmically. I was wondering if anyone here has any tricks they use to keep these kind of sequences more rhythmically relevant to each other without having to count repeats and step lengths in their head.

Last edited by bagger288; 02-26-2010 at 05:13 PM.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:41 AM
Administrator

I can think of a few options, but what works for you will depend on your working style:

- Hard Sync : This resets the sequencer every "x" beats : very handy for keeping sequences at a fixed length as you mess with them. It also requires the least effort : set it and forget it.

- Skip Steps : If you repeat a step, you can 'cut out' some following steps using skips to keep the seq the same length.

- Balancing step length : I just thought of this, haven't tried it yet. The idea is that if you shorten one step, you lengthen another by an amount necessary to keep the overall sequence the same length. I expect that one to be a bit tricky to learn, but likely very rewarding, even if all you do is shorted a step from 1 to 1/2 and length another from 1 to 1 1/2.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 02-27-2010, 11:49 AM

thanks jim! I will try giving these ideas a shot.

I'm curious, in n3, will there be "sync" inputs for the sequencers, so you can reset them with a trigger input (or is there a way to do this in n2 that I haven't seen?)

Also, will there be a way so send a "position" signal into a sequencer, to set the position of the sequence with a CV/control signal?

I could see these features helping with that sort of thing as well.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:16 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagger288 View Post
I'm curious, in n3, will there be "sync" inputs for the sequencers, so you can reset them with a trigger input (or is there a way to do this in n2 that I haven't seen?)
You can do that now by using a Gate Seq into a ParamMod, controlling the "reset" parameter on a sequencer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagger288 View Post
Also, will there be a way so send a "position" signal into a sequencer, to set the position of the sequence with a CV/control signal?
That one you can't quite do yet, I'm working on it...

Cheers,
Jim