Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Numerology > General Questions

Old 02-22-2010, 12:14 PM

Default modulating a group of step values

There's probably a way to do this and I haven't poked around sufficiently to figure it out, but:
In mononote I can see how to modulate 1 step or 'index' using the modulation sequencer, but I would like to do this to a group of notes, or even to all notes in a sequencer. (Being able to select a group of them would be better though). So I don't mean modulating the key, I want to for example in the key of c if I have an arpeggio c e g b, be able to modulate that up to d f a c, and the maybe to a c e g, etc...
Anybody have a cluestick they can hit me with?

Edit: Put another way, how could I setup a pattern with scale degrees 12343 and be able to move it around - 23454, 45676, 34565, etc....

Last edited by udder; 02-22-2010 at 02:45 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:49 PM
Numerologist

Hello,

you could use a ParamMod to modulate the Index of a second ParamMod that modulates a IntervalSeq step, you have to use this as often as needed.
If this is to complicated take a IntervalSeq with a lot of steps, put in all your needed modulations there by hand and jump between the different notes by modulating the start and end steps of this IntervalSeq.

best
jue
Old 02-22-2010, 04:11 PM

Thanks for the response...
Ack! Surely there's a less elaborate method than either of these? I mean I cooked up in my head making as many modulations as there are steps, but yeesh. Is there not a simple way to just modulate more than one step (index) with one modulation sequencer?
Old 02-22-2010, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by udder View Post
Ack! Surely there's a less elaborate method than either of these?
<shrug/>Maybe I'm not understanding what you are trying to do, but feeding the pitch out of an IntervalSeq into the interval in of a MonoNote seems simple enough to me. I'm still a Numerology noob in many ways, and that seemed like an obvious approach to me when I wanted to transpose a group of notes (a complete bar in my case).

Quote:
Originally Posted by udder View Post
Is there not a simple way to just modulate more than one step (index) with one modulation sequencer?
Maybe a trick you missed is that you can set the rate in the IntervalSeq to be slower than the rate of the MonoNote, so you don't have to set a modulation interval for each MonoNote step.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:38 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurk View Post
Maybe I'm not understanding what you are trying to do, but feeding the pitch out of an IntervalSeq into the interval in of a MonoNote seems simple enough to me. I'm still a Numerology noob in many ways, and that seemed like an obvious approach to me when I wanted to transpose a group of notes (a complete bar in my case).
That is what I would recommend also. A tweakier option would be to take advantage of the "select" buttons: you can then have a modulation on one step affect several at once, but not all steps at once.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 02-22-2010, 05:00 PM

Ok, sorry I see now. Thanks.
What happens when I do this is - ok, trying with a triad 1 3 5 3 in mononote - stepping at 16ths
in the interval sequence I've set C D E stepping in half notes
It plays 135, 256 ,367 - CEG DGA, EAB.... a major triad followed by two sus 4 chords.
HOWEVER..
If I put the notes 1, flat 3, 5 and then tell it it's in C Major it rounds the third up to a major third for the first chord, and the following two it now uses the third instead of suspending the chord,, which is what I want. I suppose if I'll want to do this I need to not use major thirds - there are probably other gotcha intervals.
Still a little wacky though and think it'd be great to be able point a modulation at more than one place. Maybe there is?
Anyway, thanks both of you, very helpful and in the process you've forced me to understand numerology a little more.

Edit - Posted my reply before reading Jim's post. Thanks Jim. Select is more what I was looking for, but apples and oranges - interestingly the whole thing with minor thirds still applies, but anyway, thanks, yet another basic feature pointed out that was staring me in the face the whole time.

Last edited by udder; 02-22-2010 at 05:24 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:39 AM
Administrator

That behavior has to do with what is happening numerically with the sequences, and how notes generated by the MonoNote are quantized to a scale. In your first example, the Interval sequences is generating semitone offset values of 0, 2, 4. The pitch part of the MonoNote is generating 0, 4, 7. The current values for each sequencer are added together, then passed into a quantization algorithm. The quantization algorithm takes semitone values that are outside the scale and shifts them up or down by 1 semitone. In the case of the major scale, a semitone value of 6 (tritone) is shifted up to 7 (fifth), so when you add the 2nd values of each of your sequences (2 & 4), you get 6, which is transposed up to 7, getting you the "G" in your DGA pattern.

When you changed the MonoNote pattern to 0, 3, 7, the 2nd value of that sequence, plus the 2nd in the interval sequence (2) becomes 5, which is a valid note in the scale (a fourth), so it remains at that value.

Internally, all pitch interval values are generated and processed as semitone values, then quantization is applied. Depending on how you are approaching note selection, this can sometime lead to unexpected note values. I think having custom scales available will help, as you will be able to decide how non-scalar notes are "pushed into line". I am also considering a change to how the NoteSequencers' internal quantizers behave, but haven't made any decisions yet.

Jim
Old 02-23-2010, 12:55 AM
Numerologist

Hello,

got a mail from Jim that says that the bug in the ParamMod is on the list for the next built of N2, then I will post the project.
In this project you can decide for every note were it should go wether up or down to get into the scale.

best
jue