Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Numerology > General Questions

Old 03-24-2009, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theau View Post
I also have nice circuit bent samples to share if needed.

ya, this can wonderful
Old 06-05-2009, 03:36 AM

Hi !

A few words today, not to post a new idea about generative sequencing, but to say : I quit music, for a few times. Maybe, and probably, a long time. I met new drummers, they are fun, and they play now in place of me in my bands, and I sold all my production gear.

I want to take another road :-) Maybe, in the future, I'll return at work, but now I need to not study music, and learn other things.

Long life to Five12, if I come back, in the future, I hope it'll be always here and full of new modules.

Take care !
Old 06-05-2009, 11:05 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.A.N.U. View Post
Long life to Five12, if I come back, in the future, I hope it'll be always here and full of new modules.
It will indeed!

Good luck with your travels!

Best,
Jim
Old 06-07-2009, 05:07 AM

Quote:
It will indeed!
Nice to hear it ! And thank you about N2, again : really nice piece of software, now people can learn modular sequencing without Max and Reaktor.

Ciao !
Old 06-07-2009, 10:13 AM

I think the trick to getting interesting generative sequences with numerology is to make sure to generate a lot of control data and not just send lots of notes and gate signals. From the generative-style stuff I've heard autechre do it sounds like they are doing a whole lot of automation of various synthesis/sampling parameters and not just triggering samples/notes in a semi-random fashion.

I think a great place to start is using the different types of time settings in the sequencers, for instance, using ratios instead of the normal quarter/half/eighth notes etc. Also, I'd make sure to use lots of envelopes and LFO's triggered and reset in various different ways... and pick interesting things to automate, like the amount of Frequency Modulation on a synth (autechre has used a lot of FM stuff) or the phase of a synced oscillator, or maybe the length of a sample loop, etc.

I haven't quite tried this yet because it hasn't been my main focus, but that's where I'd start.

good luck!
Old 09-25-2009, 09:39 AM

Interesting thread to read over coffee today. I was really disappointed that it ended where it did. I hope M.A.N.U. loses some sleep after getting me all excited about this and then just bailing.

I don't have as much time to work on this stuff as I'd like, but I'm wondering about some of the "random" steps in Num2 sequencers. It seems pretty black/white as to whether or not the step ends up being random -- meaning I click and make it so -- and then the randomness only applies as to whether the step plays or not. That's not really generative, is it? I'm fairly new to this, so I might have overlooked or not considered some functionality, but it would be mighty interestin' to have a random step that controls something else. Like, ok, the second sixteenth note of a sequence makes a change to a LFO parameter each time it comes around, but only maybe. Then if it does hit, the LFO parameter has a 25% chance of being a sine with whatever rate, or a square with a different rate, which has a chance of speeding up each time the sixteenth his hit.
And then there's a different sequence/sound that is only launched when the square LFO hits a certain rate or higher, and on and on with this. I suppose it can be read as a set of rules. As far as I can tell, the random step in the various sequencers has no conditions, which seems to hold back Num2 from true generational song building like the Autechre and Eno examples mentioned. It's my understanding that "generational" doesn't just mean "random" or "different every time" but more than that. It builds upon itself. Am I right?
Has anyone worked on this since the last posts in June?

thank you kindly
Old 09-29-2009, 11:42 PM
Administrator

I'm working on several ideas that will definitely increase the generative options for Numerology. One of those is a much more controllable randomization technique. The others are ambiguous enough I don't want to post about them yet....

Best,
Jim
Old 09-30-2009, 08:45 PM

one think i've been thinking about trying for sequences lately, has been to write 3 or 4 sequences with different pattern lengths, but maybe similar harmonic structures (or related ones) and using an LFO to move through the patterns. This would give a sense of complexity but easy to keep under control. maybe i'll give that a shot tonight
Old 10-01-2009, 09:54 AM
Administrator

That's a great idea. You could use one lfo per-sequence (or even another sequence) to control the contribution of that sequence to the overall pattern. Use the Scale & Offset to multiply the LFO with the interval sequence.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 02-07-2010, 12:28 PM

Interesting thread, although I'm some what lost.
Just wondering if anyone has furthered any of the ideas mentioned here?
Anyone have any numerology examples?