Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Numerology > General Questions

Old 10-28-2017, 05:10 PM

Unhappy New computer worse than old

I have a weird problem that I would really like your opinion on. I have an old iMac 27" 2009 that I have just retired for a used Mac mini 2012.

The iMac has a Core 2 Duo processor and 12 GiB memory with 1TB disk. The Mac mini has an i7 four core processor with 16 GiB RAM and a fusion drive, home made which means I have a SSD and a 1TB drive that I have set up as a fusion drive when I got the machine.

I have Yosemite running on the iMac and Sierra on the mini.

And now for the weird part: the new computer maxes out the CPU way faster than the old one! I had problems with Logic on the old one and they were so gone once I moved to the mini and everything felt sooo much faster when I had got everything installed on it.

Yesterday I installed Numerology and that was a totally opposite experience.

I looked at the activity monitor and I get the feeling that everything seems to be running on just one CPU? Could that be the case? Since the overall frequency of the processor is lower on the mini than the iMac that would explain the problem but I thought macOS took care of the multi core thing and just spread out the load.

So, lets face it: I have a performance problem where I thought I would not have it and I would appreciate any and all advice, please!

I really thought I had made a deal when I got the used mini and that I would benefit from it. With Logic it was day and night - the big project I had been working on previously just ran without a glitch where it complained about system resources ever so often on the iMac. You can imagine my despair when I finally got around to set up Num as the last piece in the restoration procedure and that one turned out to not work at all...
Old 10-29-2017, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koenig View Post
I have a weird problem that I would really like your opinion on. I have an old iMac 27" 2009 that I have just retired for a used Mac mini 2012.

The iMac has a Core 2 Duo processor and 12 GiB memory with 1TB disk. The Mac mini has an i7 four core processor with 16 GiB RAM and a fusion drive, home made which means I have a SSD and a 1TB drive that I have set up as a fusion drive when I got the machine.

And now for the weird part: the new computer maxes out the CPU way faster than the old one! I had problems with Logic on the old one and they were so gone once I moved to the mini and everything felt sooo much faster when I had got everything installed on it.

I looked at the activity monitor and I get the feeling that everything seems to be running on just one CPU? Could that be the case? Since the overall frequency of the processor is lower on the mini than the iMac that would explain the problem but I thought macOS took care of the multi core thing and just spread out the load.

So, lets face it: I have a performance problem where I thought I would not have it and I would appreciate any and all advice, please!

I really thought I had made a deal when I got the used mini and that I would benefit from it. With Logic it was day and night - the big project I had been working on previously just ran without a glitch where it complained about system resources ever so often on the iMac. You can imagine my despair when I finally got around to set up Num as the last piece in the restoration procedure and that one turned out to not work at all...

Hi,

Can you provide the exact model number for both machines

MacMini must be A1347 with an I7 right ?
Imac27 could be A1312 with Intel Core 2 duo ?

Here are some benchmarks for those...

iMac 2009 MacMini 2012
Single Core 1966 3479
Multi Core 3356 11,228

I would say that you should see a very big difference with Logic on your MacMini but not too much difference with Numerology ( a bit )

For me, frequency is not the only thing. That is why I look more at the bench marks. Plus, a program has to be written( created ) taking care of using the multicore or not.
Old 10-29-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koenig View Post

OH! and by the way, if you search on the forum with the word rendering, you could read discussions about Numerology (multiCore)
Old 10-29-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aramis View Post
MacMini must be A1347 with an I7 right ?
Imac27 could be A1312 with Intel Core 2 duo ?
Indeed:

iMac is A1347, Core2Duo 2.66 GHz, s/n VM013YZD5PJ
MacMini is A1347, i7 2.3 GHz, s/n C07J9AB4DWYM

I never thought about searching for multi core support; should have done that of course, especially since I deduced as much from the observed behavior. It then makes sense that the newer should be worse than the old one, given the difference in CPU speed. I just assumed that this would not be the case, given that the Mac has been multi core for quite a while, even though the evidence pointed in the other direction.

Well, I also noted the tip about launching several instances of Num and syncing them with MTC. I will definitely research that path.

Thanks!

K

Tags
imac, macmini, performance, sierra, yosemite