Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Numerology > General Questions

Old 12-16-2011, 02:16 PM

Default Workflow Help Needed . . . desperately!!!

Please help!
I have been trying to get my set-up going for months and months. I can't seem to get a smooth workflow that allows me to create swiftly without being bogged down by production. I used to know what I was doing (back in the day), but I'm overwhelmed and underachieving. I just want to come up a template and/or steps that allows me to get down a song before I lose my initial inspiration and scare my muse away.

I have this:

MacBook Pro
Tascam US-144mkII Interface
Akai KPK24 Controller
Rode Mic
Fender Guitar
Fender Bass

Logic Express
Numerology 3
Bias Peak

Virtual Instruments (Sampler, Instruments, Drum Machines)
Virtual FX (all the usual stuff)

If I use a mix or midi seq. and audio for my basic tracking, how would you suggest I set it all up, assuming each track has it's own unique effects rack of at least 3 FX, and then globally mastered with the usual compressor/limiter, verb, EQ, etc.

MASTERED in BIAS PEAK

I am grateful for any suggestions.
Sincerely, Tommy

Last edited by Tommy Zai; 12-18-2011 at 07:31 PM.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:09 PM

don`t know, but ebb and flow - subtile changes and keep in mind that more than 3 changes cause chaos - I like using a fader box and controlling some synths or effects - or set up some discrete sequencing - changing divides or changing the gates - or doing something else if the music don`t works

Last edited by ckluxen; 12-16-2011 at 05:16 PM.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:46 PM
Administrator

It sounds like you're almost there. Here are my recommendations:

- Run Numerology in ReWire mode, and whatever you drive from Numerology, host in Numerology as well -- at least while composing. ReWire mode will get you sync, and hosting synths in Numerology will avoid any latency or timing issues. The only thing you lose is audio input. If you really need that, then run N3 standalone and sync via MIDI Clock.

- Try to get your hands on a Launchpad, it will make using Numerology much more immediate.

- For free-form arrangement of patterns in Numerology, use the Launchpad, or use the Preset Playlist.

- When you really feel like you have things nailed down arrangement-wise, consider creating 'shadow' tracks in Logic for each Numerology track. You can copy MIDI recorded from the Numerology session, then re-target it to Logic's synth, freeze those tracks, do final tweaks, etc.

- Skip the whole FX rack thing -- it's just going to make everything too complicated. Setup multi-band dynamics and parametric EQ on every track. Then create 2-4 Aux tracks in Logic for bread-and-butter sweeting stuff: delays & reverb. Save any fancy FX stuff until you really think you need it.

If you still want to do some crazy FX stuff, then treat the FX chain like a unique instrument -- one that, like any complex synth patch, needs to be worked on by itself before brining it to a composition.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 12-16-2011, 11:29 PM

Thank you so much.
Now, I have to set it all up. I know if I can get it set up I will be able to make music without much diversion. At present I am stunting after each track . . . trying to figure out how to bus, how to bounce/send info, etc.

Question: Will a launch pad be much better than my little controller? In what way? Is that the one designed for Ableton Live?
Old 12-16-2011, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckluxen View Post
don`t know, but ebb and flow - subtile changes and keep in mind that more than 3 changes cause chaos - I like using a fader box and controlling some synths or effects - or set up some discrete sequencing - changing divides or changing the gates - or doing something else if the music don`t works
Good point about the 3 changes. Perhaps more than 3 FX on one instruments will muddy it all up.
Old 12-17-2011, 02:24 AM

good point to record numerology at a dummy track - mostly I mean 3 changes at different instruments in one big loop

Last edited by ckluxen; 12-17-2011 at 02:28 AM.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:09 PM

Created a dedicated workflow thread: http://five12.net/showthread.php?t=1774

Last edited by Tommy Zai; 12-23-2011 at 12:36 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Zai View Post
Created a workflow thread: http://five12.net/showthread.php?t=1774

Closing this thread. Thank you.
Nobody closes here we are always open!!

You can start a new thread, but a closed thread to me implies that the topics we've looked at here don't need developing..

Within in it's originating thread it's easier to keep track of whats been covered instead of jumping threads..

Wade
Old 12-23-2011, 12:35 PM

Wade, I'm just trying to consolidate a few threads I started that are almost the same . . . just simplifying as I am trying to do with my workflow. :-). I will undo the damage. Viva la thread!