Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Numerology > General Questions

Old 12-17-2011, 04:01 AM

Default trigger sequence once

Trying to setup a modulationsequencer that does not loop. I want it to start as I switch the preset and stops after one cycle.
Besides the midi Trigger modes don`t start the sequencer, perhaps I have to setup something in the routing? Would like to start it by master keyboard if it isn`t possible by preset.
Using the Numerology VST.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckluxen View Post
Trying to setup a modulationsequencer that does not loop. I want it to start as I switch the preset and stops after one cycle.
Besides the midi Trigger modes don`t start the sequencer, perhaps I have to setup something in the routing? Would like to start it by master keyboard if it isn`t possible by preset.
Using the Numerology VST.
That would be "CV trigger play" which means a momentary trigger starts the sequencer modus, then just choose loop mode "off". There is no midi input on the CV sequencers they only have a CV trigger input..

There is a pretty straight forward work around for this though..

Use a Midi to CV module found under Midi processing. Hookk up your midi input to this on the Routing page of the stack. Then take the Gate out from the Midi to CV module and patch it to your modulation sequener.

When a preset changes if a sequence dosn't start playing, then I would setup up a gate sequencer within the same stack to send a gate to the CV trigger input on the sequencer. The gate on could be placed as the first or second quarter step in a 32 step sequence, this would give plenty of time to zero the trigger gate if that was your intention. the Gate sequencer at preset change will send a trigger so your sequence always starts at the gate on , an elegant work around the gatesequencer runs in "normal" mode loop on.

Never fails..

Wade

Last edited by TwoToneshuzz; 12-17-2011 at 06:09 PM.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:27 PM

Default Example project

I upload a Numerology project where it's setup for playing the Modulation sequencer using CV trigger mode.

There's a Midi to CV module at the top of the stack for triggering from a keyboard or a button controller that can send a note on. You set the midi channel recieve channel so this allows you to send the trigger on a different channel to any notes you might be using to trigger sounds live within the Numerology stack.

The Gate sequencer is set up to send a trigger on the first note at each preset change starting with preset number 2.

Turn off the Gate sequencer or zero the gates if you just want to use the the midi input. And if you want to Just use the gate you could change the Midi CV module recieve channel to an unused channel.

Wade
Attached Files
File Type: zip Modulation sequencer trigger.nmp.zip (19.8 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by TwoToneshuzz; 12-17-2011 at 06:31 PM.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:38 AM

thanks TwoToneshuzz, I`ll try that, didn`t excpect CV Sequencer don`t allow Midi Trigger as this is an option here.
Allright, the Midi to CV does the job to get a non looping CV Sequencer triggered by an external note if that note doesn`t loop again of course.

But using a second sequencer without external note to trigger the CV sequencer do always cause to loop again because a Sequencer don`t starts if set to loop mode off and switched by its preset. And another has to be set to loop mode on. That`s the behaviour of your sent patch.

You could still set the second sequencer to a long time of course.
That`s just a start here for me in numerology, but I have to start somewhere.... I just wanted that to get some repeating modulations by keyboard or just a simple fade in controlling the mix in ableton live without a repeat.

Last edited by ckluxen; 12-18-2011 at 04:07 AM.
Old 12-18-2011, 08:11 AM

Quote:
thanks TwoToneshuzz, I`ll try that, didn`t excpect CV Sequencer don`t allow Midi Trigger as this is an option here.
Allright, the Midi to CV does the job to get a non looping CV Sequencer triggered by an external note if that note doesn`t loop again of course.

But using a second sequencer without external note to trigger the CV sequencer do always cause to loop again because a Sequencer don`t starts if set to loop mode off and switched by its preset. And another has to be set to loop mode on. That`s the behaviour of your sent patch.

That`s just a start here for me in numerology, but I have to start somewhere.... I just wanted that to get some repeating modulations by keyboard or just a simple fade in controlling the mix in ableton live without a repeat.
If you set the trigger Gate sequencer to 4 whole notes and make it last 64 steps you have a one shot trigger in practice I'd say.

To limit the Midi input to one note for triggering the fade you would insert a midi note filter before the Midi to CV converter module. Then you can set say the lowest tone on your keyboard to trigger the Modulation sequencer..

Wade
Old 12-22-2011, 05:39 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Part of that is a scope control issue (not putting in too many features), part of it is intentionally to keep MIDI out of the CV sequencer.

Quote:
Let me know how things are going -- If you're stuck on anything in particular...

Thanks,
Jim
Old 12-26-2011, 10:55 AM

thanks jim....there are a lot of questions left....time for a new thread