Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Numerology > Feature Requests

Old 08-14-2012, 02:12 PM

Default Hard Sync expansion

I like making long droning passages as well but that run in time. Sometimes I find the hard sync function too short at 32 bars. I realise that it would be too much to go to every bar between 32 and say 256 but perhaps after 32 bars there could be the option of say hard sync at 48 bars, 64 bars, 80 bars, 96 bars etc. Just a thought but would be really useful for me. Thanks!
Old 08-15-2012, 01:43 AM

For such lengths of sequences then you need to use the trigger gate tricks.

Insert a Gate sequencer directly above the sequencer you want to have the long hard sync function implemented on.

Gate, CV Gate out --> sequencer CV trigger In.

On the front panel of the sequencer click on the Play Mode button, on the Pop editor set Trigger modus to CV trigger gated. Set loop on. Set Reset to ON.

Now on the Trigger Gate sequencer set the Clock division to for example 4 x W turn 20 gates full on "tied" bring the last gate down to say 95% now every 80 bars your sequence will be retriggered, because it is set to "Reset" modus and "CV trigger Play", it will start as if it's in Hard Sync.

Regards

Wade
Old 08-16-2012, 02:52 AM

Blinking heck Wade, once again you come with the goods! Jim should put you on his payroll!

Ok will try this out in the studio this next couple of days and let you know how I get on.

Thanks a lot!

Sam
Old 08-16-2012, 05:11 AM

I think you should set your Sequencer to CV trigger Gated instead of Play. The Midi triggerplay mode with Loop off can be used in a live situation where you want to keep in time with the other players.

The CV trigger Gated modus with Loop on and Reset On but beat quantize off is the way you want to go.

Also the CV trigger Gate step lengths say twenty steps on and tied with the Last Gate on turned down to say 95 percent then needs to be set to loop in the above example is set to 20 steps so it just will repeat automatically.

Experimentation is key. When setting up these kinds of long triggers it's a good idea to set the step values to say 1/4 intead of 4xW just to test that all things as you after are working.

Waiting 80 bars to see if a trigger connection works is way to time consuming only to realize you have missed some small detail.

Wade
Old 08-17-2012, 12:47 PM

Yes Wade, this method does work. The problem is not quite fixed though but it is improved. The way I work is to chain arpeggiators together so that the first plays one instrument (let's say in 1/16ths) whilst the second instance of Numerology takes the midi of the first and feeds it into the arpeggiator (running at say 4 whole bars per step) to make drones out of the notes (this is why I needed the advice from you in the first place). This means the first arpeggiator has a "logical" influence on the second and I can concentrate on other tasks. The problem is the time lag between the two. The second arpeggiator needs to take it all the notes before it can make its own arpeggiation.

The Hard Sync you have solved for me. Any advice on eliminating the time lag completely? I suppose that it is impossible, right?

Thanks for your help though so far. Really useful!

Sam
Old 08-17-2012, 04:42 PM

It's an interesting problem, once I understand it fully I'm sure if it can be done in Numerology I am the one to ask. I love this kind of challenge..

The placment and the nature of these two Arpeggiattors is a little obscure for me from your description. Is it Numerologies Matrix sequencer in Arpeggiator modus?

Is it a synth with built in arpgeggiator?

Are you mistakenly calling a sequence in Midi trigger play modus with transpose on, an arpeggiator ? It's more like a phrase player.

Is the output from the two apreggiators generated while the performer is playing along in realtime? Could you accept a one cycle buffer? Do you know about Record modus?

Every good question seems to deserve five more!!

Wade

Last edited by TwoToneshuzz; 08-17-2012 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08-18-2012, 02:51 PM

All good questions Wade and I will need the next few days to investigate everything from the bottom up. Thanks again for your help. You have already saved me I do not know how much time and effort!