Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Numerology > General Questions

Old 04-26-2010, 01:51 AM

Default Expert Sleepers Silent Way

Hello Forum,

this is my first post and I hope I am addressing the right people and I am in the right category... let's see.

My question is regarding Numerology using the silent way plugin from expert sleepers.

I am trying to follow exactly the video posted on this (excellent) homepage how to set up the modular with numerology. However, I cannot get it to work.

I have two issues:
- In the pure analog setup when I try to calibrate the plugin, I only get a series of clicks or high pitch sounds and the graph shows several spikes after calibration. Obviously I cannot play the correct notes after this calibration.
- My second question is regarding pitch. This does not work when I use numerology and a MIDI to CV interface and I expect it to maybe be part of the whole problem. When I play a sequence and close the pitch gates the modular will continue to play the last note it received with an open pitch gate. I am not getting a "Note off" kind of response from my setup. In the video of the silent way plugin it is clearly shown that the sound is actually off when the pitch gates are closed. How is that done? Through MIDI to CV or Silent way to CV.

Just to make things easier to narrow down:
- yes, I did read the manual
- yes, I built the cables according to the instructions (TRS -> TS)
- I am using a MOTU FW 828 MKII as my soundcard (MIDI and analog out/in)
- I am using both a Doepfer MCV24 as well as the A-190 as MIDI to CV modules
- I have only Doepfer modules as VCO's (the A-110 and the A-111)

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks for this excellent product (which I activated yesterday after some days on the Demo version).

Regards,
aze
Old 04-26-2010, 04:01 AM

Have you seen the video About numerology and SW ?
i've the same VCO (A-110) and i was able to calibrate this .
As audio card i use a Tascam us-1641 with the AC/DC converter
DSI Mopho,Electribe Er-1 - Korg M3R - Korg wavestation A/D - Roland R8 Mk II - Korg A2 -Korg DSS1 - Korg Padkontrol - BCR 2000 - Novation Nocturne - some A100 modules- Numerology - Ableton live 6- Reaktor

http://www.quartzvisuals.com
http://dennisippolito.it
Old 04-26-2010, 04:23 AM

Default Video

Thanks for your suggestion. Yes, as my original post says I did look at the video (maybe 2 dozen times) but still cannot get it to work as in the video.

Apart from some pops and crackles no sound with the DC coupled interface at all. Through MIDI it works, although the pitch problem (as explained in my first post) persists.

Any other suggestions?
Old 04-26-2010, 05:28 AM

I wonder if you might be routing the CV outputs incorrectly, possibly to your main outs.

What MOTU calls "out 1/2" are often seen by the software as "out 3/4" because the "main outs" are actually out 1/2.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:54 AM

Yes, this is what I have been suspecting but have not tried it out.

It would mean that routing CV Outs to Out3/4 in Numerology (with the SW plugin) means sending CV's to the OUT 1/2 on the MOTU 828.

Although I have my modular audio out connected to IN 2 and can hear the sound through my main Outs I fail to see the Input in the Numerology Mixer. The meter bars on that input also stay at roughly 10% with very little movement. Does that mean IN 1/2 in Numerology is possibly also not what it actually is on the MOTU?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Aze
Old 04-26-2010, 07:01 AM

In 1/2 are almost certainly the same in MOTU and Numerology. If you can't get audio in to Numerology, completely ignoring Silent Way for the moment, then that's going to be a problem.

Jim might have to help you there, though.

Tags
analog, doepfer, midi to cv, motu, vco