Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Numerology > Feature Requests

Old 02-09-2020, 01:12 AM

Default NumerologyVST in VCV Rack

Hi Jim,

I'm trying to use NumerologyVST in vcvRack via/Host-XL, having a little luck but noticing a few hiccups

I've got clock and transport in working, 2 CV outputs via a CV to Audio module, and CV in (5v/uni) via audio ins > Envelope Follower.
The big problem atm is the cables on the routing page are invisible :|

A few things that would be great:
- a plugin version with more ins and outs (8/8, 16/16 will be useful once VCV for DAWs is out)
- an Audio to CV module would simplify dealing with CV inputs
- parameters visible to the host (understand this is in the works)
- a gear menu option to initialize the stack

Trying to avoid dealing with MIDI or IAC roundtrips
No issues w/ standalone patching through Loopback, but I prefer to keep everything in one environment, save file, and avoid the cpu hit from Loopback

Cheers + thanks for all!
Nate
Old 02-10-2020, 07:50 AM

Default NumerologyVST in VCV Rack

Hear him! Hear him! Great suggestions. Thanks! ...edN
Old 02-10-2020, 12:01 PM
Numerologist

Default Numerology and VCV

Hello,

think you should write to the VCV developer for making his Host module fully working with all ins and outs! Then using Numerology within VCV would be no problem.
Did this last year when the Host module was available, but without any success.
The VCV developer is not interested in such things! He seems only to follow his own path!

As the VCV version 1.16 still has no MIDI timecode for sync, so i am syncing the two programs by sending an audio trigger from Numerology to VCV and the MIDI/IAC solutions for modulations. Not easy to set up but it works for me.

The other upcoming problem will be that VCV is that there will be no AU version soon, it might be released some time afterwards the Rack DAW release, but this is not yet confirmed. Means you have to use a wrapper from VST to AU to get it working within Numerology, this could also rise more and more problems.

On the other side there are modulars from Cherry Audio or Softube with AU versions that work really great within Numerology!

best
jue
Old 02-10-2020, 05:03 PM

Hi Jue,

Quote:
Originally Posted by jue View Post
On the other side there are modulars from Cherry Audio or Softube with AU versions that work really great within Numerology!
Yep I have them and others, but for what I like to do and how I like to do it they aren't comparable.

Quote:
The other upcoming problem will be that VCV is that there will be no AU version soon, it might be released some time afterwards the Rack DAW release, but this is not yet confirmed. Means you have to use a wrapper from VST to AU to get it working within Numerology, this could also rise more and more problems.
Sounds like our use case is different. I'm trying to use Numerology within VCV not vice-versa. RE VCV for DAWs, I will be instancing them both within Bidule so AU/VST is a non-issue. I've seen in a couple places Andrew mention AU coming down the road, so I'd wager that's likely, and VCV in Numerology (and probably more pressing from his standpoint, Logic) will be a reality. But as you mention there's no reason you couldn't run it within BiduleAU or Patchwork, for example.

Quote:
As the VCV version 1.16 still has no MIDI timecode for sync, so i am syncing the two programs by sending an audio trigger from Numerology to VCV and the MIDI/IAC solutions for modulations. Not easy to set up but it works for me.
Yep audio pulse is the way to go. I have a USAMO to generate clock for hardware, and for VCV if I need to lock to another DAW like Bidule or Live (for Link) I use SilentWay Sync routed over a channel in Loopback, but you could easily use Numerology for that too. Had no problems with it so far but would prefer to simplify things and avoid the CPU hit.

I'm curious how VCV for DAWs will deal with host sync and I/O, could be great (fingers crossed!)

Quote:
think you should write to the VCV developer for making his Host module fully working with all ins and outs! Then using Numerology within VCV would be no problem.
Did this last year when the Host module was available, but without any success.
The VCV developer is not interested in such things! He seems only to follow his own path!
What "ins and outs" are you talking about? HOST-XL has heaps, it's NumerologyVST where parameters aren't accessible and only stereo I/O is available...

But still the main issue with Numerology inside VCV is the cables in patch view don't display - I'm not sure whether that's a Numerology problem, a VCV one, or a user one, but besides that it seems completely viable without changes to VCV.

Important to note here that I prefer Numerology as a plugin over standalone for a few reasons, some I mentioned in my first post, but also currently it's the only way to have multiple stacks open at the same time. Since the plugin version automaps to columns on a Launchpad the same way standalone does it makes performance nearly the same. A huge advantage imo.

The request for more I/O and targetable parameters in NumVST helps not just with VCV but any DAW. I use NumerologyVST in Bidule (my main) and getting modulation in and out of it is no easy task - this would really simplify things and I imagine for some others, too.

Cheers,
Nate