Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Numerology > General Questions

Old 01-05-2009, 11:47 AM

may be i will just start to write something like minimal tekno...)))
Old 01-05-2009, 11:59 AM

I think it would be silly and redundant to invest time into making a traditional midi sequencer in numerology... it just isn't conducive to that kind of workflow and the polynote sequencer is really about as far as it needs to go for numerology philosophy... however I have this crazy/half baked idea for a module that I think could be very powerful...

a midi player module... one thats only purpose is to generate/extract various types of data from midi files and then be routed into numerology... you could in effect dramatically change the output of your projects by loading different midi files into the the "midi player module" and using the data to modulate and feed parameters... intervals being the most obvious choice but it could go so far beyond that!
Old 01-05-2009, 12:21 PM

agree, no need to make it traditional, just add some midi input to step programming, veeery little tiny midi input function ))) that`s it!
Old 01-05-2009, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
The goal of Numerology is ....
Thanks for the elaborate reply. There are some interesting ideas there, and I need to find time to experiment a bit with Numerology.

As far as light weight midi sequencers go, I just found Intuem, which seems to fit the bill.

Now I'm going to watch those videos you mentioned.

Victor.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:07 AM

people seem to think that one tool will do it all. it is for this reason that things like cubase are such a headache for people, and i have not met anyone in the industry that uses every single feature in it, but rather different groups of people that use different functions within it. i think the most interesting music comes from the guys that think to use something in an out-of-the-ordinary way, kinda a "what will happen if i plug this into this" way of thinking. strategies like these can still hold true for sequencers and daws, and i personally like to pick the perfect tool for each job. for example, i do most of my composing in ableton live, and i like programming breaks and complex sampling in Renoise (a tracker), and i like to mix in Cubase, and now recently i have found Numerology which fits a little niche part of my artistic creativity. it is a fantastic little program, but it will never compete with cubase as far as mixing capability. i will never be able to dj or play live with it as well as i can with ableton. likewise, it will never be as good of a midi sequencer as many other pieces of software are, but that's ok, because what it does, it does really well. i'm glad Jim has decided to focus on something that not many other people have done in software, and i'm glad that he hasn't given in to the mainstream demand and put something in like a midi sequencer, because honestly the only people it would please would numerology users that would get the added convenience. i doubt any user of any other midi sequencer would come to Numerology for it's midi sequencer, when there is competition out there that has spent years and years developing their sequencers. so guys, consider the idea of being open to using more than one piece of software for all aspects of composition, production, etc. because i can tell you from experience that you will make it much easier on yourselves just using the right tool for each task, instead of getting some piece of garbage all-in-one tool that does a mediocre job at each task.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonomute View Post
agree, no need to make it traditional, just add some midi input to step programming, veeery little tiny midi input function ))) that`s it!
For this task i use Bidule as Au in numerology to record midi note and even midi cc generate from lfo or modulation sequencer etc.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:24 AM
Numerologist

Default remarks to MIDI step recording

Hello,

MIDI input for step programming would be great.
Beside this I like to see also a copy and paste function inside of the sequencers.
In the moment I am using a lot of 64/128 step Seqs from were I select parts by modulation of start/end steps.
Setting all by moving the mouse is a little time consuming.
If we got MIDI input it would be possible to prepare my pitches in Cubase by recording, copy and Paste or even painting with the pencil and then just play them to numerology and record them there.

In MonoNote, PolyNote and MatrixSeq pitch and velocity should be recorded step by step
in IntervalSeq the pitch should be recorded step by step
in VelocitySeq the velocity should be recorded step by step

In all this cases recording means to me:
First MIDI event to first step in Seq
second Midi event to the second step in Seq
and so on.
There should be a selection switch were this behavier could be inverted to this:
First MIDI event to last step in Seq
second Midi event to the second last step in Seq
and so on.
And the steps should go ahead if you put in more MIDI events than steps are in the sequence.
This means shifting forward or backward belonging to the setting of the selection switch mentioned before.
First in first out if to many are comming.

best
jue

Last edited by jue; 01-06-2009 at 11:25 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-06-2009, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamburglar View Post
a midi player module... one thats only purpose is to generate/extract various types of data from midi files and then be routed into numerology... you could in effect dramatically change the output of your projects by loading different midi files into the the "midi player module" and using the data to modulate and feed parameters... intervals being the most obvious choice but it could go so far beyond that!
I've been thinking about exactly the same thing. I have been playing with other tools for MIDI generation, for example a modified version of this. I am happy to capture the output using something other than Numerology, but it would be great if Numerology could play back the resultant MIDI file.

Last edited by sbaishya; 01-06-2009 at 11:48 AM.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:56 PM

hi all!

I wanted to add my opinion on this. I've been considering buying numerology for a long time now. V1 had the lack of rewire which is a great addition with this v2. The other bit that is stopping me from purchasing it now is the total mouse dependence of the program. I think the software is close to perfection now in terms of functions and flexibility but I think it's still missing on the functional side.

In terms of midi recording (notes and CCs) one could have a "write" button on each sequencer. When activated any midi note input would be recorded at that point in time. If multiple notes were triggered during a step the last one would stay.

There could be a master CC# as well (MW #1 maybe). This would be used to input data for all other types of seq. With the sequencer running, and pressing write, tweaking this CC would print the value to the step. this would make it super easy to add stuff on the fly.

Important thing is that a step where no input was made should keep unmodified. Maybe there could be two options (replace and overdub or something like that)

Rec mode could have a latch mode and a one shot mode where recording

Another different way to create better control imo, would be to add a system of remote seq selection. Have a way to scroll through the different seq with midi control. then on that highlighted seq have a system of midi control that would be the same for all seqs. This way you could have a master CC# assignment for stuff like last step, octave, play, "write" etc that would control the highlighted seq. this would be extremely intuitive. with a knob you'd scroll through the seqs, and with the same set of knobs you'd make changes on that seq. having the same knobs controlling the same parameters on every seq would make learning this so much easier which wold allow for great expressiveness with time.

now what you could add to this system is a set of 16CC#s that would always control the 16 step values. So with the same knobs you'd control the parameters of the highlighted seq.

This kind of control would make it ideal to control numerology without almost touching the mouse. i don't know how hard to implement this would be but I can imagine it being an effective way to control numerology in an expressive way.

To record on the fly, you'd use the seq scroll knob to select what seq you'd want to change,

in here you could tweak the 16 master CC# to input values

or you could press press the master "write" button to enable write - in here you could add the value by note input (maybe use 16 notes only), or by tweaking the master input knob (MW CC#1)

as soon as you'd scroll out of that highlighted seq, write mode would be automatically turned off and you'd be set to change another seq on the fly.

This is just an idea, but if numerology had such a functionality it'd probably become by master sequencer in no time.

the main idea is to have the same set controls for the common parameters in all seqs and then have an easy way to scroll between them.

what do guys think?

Last edited by pix; 01-11-2009 at 02:00 PM.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:12 AM

i dunno. i've read these arguments and even thought them myself to start with. midi recording, control etc.

but N2 *for me* is all about fab fractal structures, beautiful morphing kalidescopic movements that couldn't be caught with linear sequencing. it's got naff all to do with jamming or 'feeling it'. it's got everything to do with figured out how to cross patch sequencer x to generator y, what type of message affects what aspect of the sound, and the skilful application of randomness.

everything else is gravy. logic does it already.