Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Numerology > General Questions

Old 10-03-2011, 12:19 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambientidm View Post
sounds like quite a task
i think if livid does an rgb version of the block along with it's menu buttons you will have winner
I'd certainly love to have one!

Quote:
i really wish the step lanes of the mono and polynotes had independent lengths
that would a great way to generate evolving sequences in a user defined manner
an 8 step note pattern with a 3 step tie would give a 24 step pattern for example
Use the CV sequencing modules (IntervalSeq, GateSeq, ModSeq) -- either on their own, or used in conjunction with the note seqs... that is what those modules are made for -- in fact, they pre-date the note seqs by something like two years. I timed myself and it took about 25 seconds to produce an 8 vs. 3 pattern like the one you describe -- and that's from a blank stack with no modules in it.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 10-03-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
I'd certainly love to have one!

Use the CV sequencing modules (IntervalSeq, GateSeq, ModSeq) -- either on their own, or used in conjunction with the note seqs... that is what those modules are made for -- in fact, they pre-date the note seqs by something like two years. I timed myself and it took about 25 seconds to produce an 8 vs. 3 pattern like the one you describe -- and that's from a blank stack with no modules in it.

Cheers,
Jim
that is great news but are those controllable via lauchpad?
n3 is all about live interfaces and improv for me

Last edited by ambientidm; 10-03-2011 at 12:55 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:52 PM
Administrator

Quote:
that is great news but are those controllable via lauchpad?
Yup! -- new feature added in version 3.1....

Quote:
n3 is all about live interfaces and improv for me
bingo!

Cheers,
Jim
Old 10-04-2011, 01:13 AM

i guess i'm buying a launchpad or two after all
unless of course a rgb block comes out soon
which i have been told not anytime soon
Old 10-04-2011, 11:21 PM

For what it's worth, I would be willing to pay $10-30 for a dedicated ipad controller app, depending on the level of integration.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:22 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreward View Post
For what it's worth, I would be willing to pay $10-30 for a dedicated ipad controller app, depending on the level of integration.
TouchOSC will work fine -- that's what I'm using as a "test harness"...

Cheers,
Jim
Old 10-06-2011, 02:27 AM

Quote:

Cheers,
Jim

hopefully osc can be routed through a cable
Old 10-10-2011, 12:24 PM

Quote:

Cheers,
Jim
Have you seen Logic with touchOSC? I use it with my ipod touch and it follows what's happening on screen, so for example if I hit play on the computer with the mouse the play button on the touchosc interface on the ipod lights up.

I'm hoping for some kind of integration like this with the launchpad? I asked about this a little while back, but the logic video explains things better, I think. So, for example if I go to the presets page on the launchpad I can have the ipod show me the stack name and presets names? Seems possible since in Logic any audio unit I load shows up named on the ipod for editing. I don't know how much time it would take though!

Only thing is, I don't know much about touchOSC, as the logic template is not editable and hardwired.

Personally, I'm not super interested in using touch screens for grid control and can think of lots of alternate methods I'd like to try with Numerology. What might be interesting is a "quantized" x/y control. Say, move your finger along the x-axis and release to select a stack, and then along the y-axis and release to get to the module, x axis to the desired row and releasing enters your note. Tap and hold lets you select gate, groove, etc in note sequencers and drop down lists in other modules. Triple tapping brings you back. The way I imagine it at least it would be a fun, flowing experience for note entry. I dunno, can I build something like this in touchOSC?

Also, I do have an ipad coming in the mail, and it seems numerology only supports one OSC connection?
Old 10-10-2011, 05:41 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonahs View Post
Have you seen Logic with touchOSC? I use it with my ipod touch and it follows what's happening on screen, so for example if I hit play on the computer with the mouse the play button on the touchosc interface on the ipod lights up.

I'm hoping for some kind of integration like this with the launchpad? I asked about this a little while back, but the logic video explains things better, I think. So, for example if I go to the presets page on the launchpad I can have the ipod show me the stack name and presets names? Seems possible since in Logic any audio unit I load shows up named on the ipod for editing. I don't know how much time it would take though!

Only thing is, I don't know much about touchOSC, as the logic template is not editable and hardwired.
I have seen the Logic mapping, it is pretty nice -- and it does look like there may be some custom tweaks going on there. Certainly there are some tweaks that can be made to the Launchpad mapping so that the UI and the controller follow each other better -- though the real goal is that you rarely need to look at the computer at all...

Quote:
Personally, I'm not super interested in using touch screens for grid control and can think of lots of alternate methods I'd like to try with Numerology. What might be interesting is a "quantized" x/y control. Say, move your finger along the x-axis and release to select a stack, and then along the y-axis and release to get to the module, x axis to the desired row and releasing enters your note. Tap and hold lets you select gate, groove, etc in note sequencers and drop down lists in other modules. Triple tapping brings you back. The way I imagine it at least it would be a fun, flowing experience for note entry. I dunno, can I build something like this in touchOSC?
Not without some very fancy programming. I can't give a date yet on the new controller stuff, but it is coming relatively soon... It will have both a general-purpose navigation section, and a 'bookmarks' feature that will make it really easy to setup semi-custom layouts.

Quote:
Also, I do have an ipad coming in the mail, and it seems numerology only supports one OSC connection?
Currently that is the case. I will be doing a rewrite of the OSC transmission/reception code to allow multiple connections as well as fix some other things, and support the plugins properly.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 10-11-2011, 02:08 PM

Can't wait to directly compose in N3 with my 256 ! Using MIDI for navigation isn't an issue at all. And as far as I'm concerned, no need for complex stuffs, something similar to Stretta's Plane sequencer directly into N3 would already be damn prefect.