Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Numerology > General Questions

Old 01-14-2009, 07:49 AM

hmm, I think you miss the point. We don't want to write linearly. just to have a less mouse driven/eyes on the screen workflow.

wouldn't it be better to control the 16 step values with a row of 16 knobs instead of mouse clicking on all of them?
Old 01-15-2009, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pix View Post
wouldn't it be better to control the 16 step values with a row of 16 knobs instead of mouse clicking on all of them?
not neccessarily. if something is feeling static in N2 i'll look to another method to create movement, such as multiple interval seq's or mod gens. if i set those right i can stand off the machines and the structure takes on a life of it's own. thus realtime control and expression in N2 is not a huge priority ....*FOR ME*
Old 01-15-2009, 06:28 AM

Nobody saying that he want this one to be like logic, why are you still keeping to repeat this? It is just intuitive way for me for example to input some kind of musical idea and then to develop it with help of Num, i prefer to play some notes on my midi keyboard, record it step by step then to step sequencer, and then start to work with it and mutate it to something complex and beautiful
Right now i have only one choice, mouse input, which is not really musical and intuitive for me, and nobody asking you to use numerology as Logic, and anyway, i even don`t have logic, i don`t need it
Old 01-15-2009, 06:34 AM

I think it is just the name of the thread..."midi-recording" sounds like something complicated, arranging, automating and al that...

It is better to talk about "using midi-controllers for programming step-sequencer modules like mononote,polynote etc."

I think everybody will agree that THIS is useful feature,or i`m wrong?
Old 01-15-2009, 06:43 AM

i agree sono. it would be a useful feature.

i'm just new at N and having a lot of fun with it. i haven't got to it's limitations yet, just my own (as usual)
Old 01-15-2009, 11:32 AM

I agree as well.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:46 AM
Administrator

An interesting discussion....

What I'm starting to see is a continuum of programming techniques, that I think I can roughly describe as four groups:

- Conceptual Composition : Patterns built up from ideas, such as the one shown in the 2nd Techniques video. Here MIDI interaction is minimal, the real work happens in your head, and entry is primarily by mousing around.

- Interactive Composition : Here you use MIDI control over existing patterns to modify them as they run, both via ParamMod, and via MIDI control over various parameters. This includes manual assignment of MIDI knobs/faders to pitch sliders and other sequencer params.

- Semi-Realtime Composition : Entry of notes into a sequence from a MIDI keyboard -- either in a step-by-step function, or by 'recording' them as the sequence plays, without modifying the sequencer's timing.

- Realtime Composition : recording of all MIDI events (notes, CC, etc) in realtime. This of course also implies MIDI playback, MIDI import/export, etc.

What I find helpful about this categorization is that it helps me group feature requests so that I can better schedule feature implementation. Numerology already covers the first two groups very well (though, of course, there is always room for refinement), the third group could be covered with a few carefully chosen new features. The fourth, as I've mentioned before, is quite a bit more work, and is well represented by existing software. What I'm seeing on the list is a strong demand for coverage in the 3rd group, and some interest in the 4th. I see it as a natural progression : steady incorporation of features that match the 3rd group, while continuing to make notes and preparations to enter the 4th.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 01-15-2009, 01:19 PM
Numerologist

Default You call it Semi-Realtime Composition

hello,

You call it Semi-Realtime Composition,
for me it would help to handle all of my long Seqs 32 to 128 steps.
If the step by step input is possible my idea is to prepare my sequences in a normal program (Nuendo/Cubase/Logic or what every you like) by using their MIDI editors with all the cut,copy and past..... after, finsh just play it from there into the CV Seq in numerology and go!
Several 128 step Seqs with light differend changes are a paint just with the mouse to set up.
The other side would be that each composer has a lot of projects on his DAW with MIDI notes in it waiting for the next round off composition.
I still have the most of my compositions from the old ATARI 1040 times in cubase projects.
A little cut here and there would make his way to Numerology just to have a try, if this kind of stepinput would be possible.

best
jue
Old 01-23-2009, 02:13 AM

Hi, I'm a new Numerology user/owner; I recently got my first Mac and this was the #1 software that had been making me jealous over in Windows-land ...

I've only spent a couple of short sessions with Numerology, but I do have plenty of experience with other sequencing methods (Ableton,Cubase,MPC,machinedrum,puredata...)

So, I'd like to add my vote to this--

Semi-Realtime Composition is a feature I would _really_ appreciate.

The idea is not to change the essence of Numerology's sequencing concept (which is certainly great as-is), rather to help us in 2 ways:
-entering step values in a way that is more ergonomic than mousing
-for us non-musical-geniuses, sometime 'happy accidents' are good, but also it's very efficient to be able to just 'poke around' the keyboard a bit to find the right note-- just to help get it out of our heads into the program

One style that I think would be very handy:
Hold down a certain 'step select' button to select a given step, then press the key for the note(s) you want. Perhaps even with gate time or velocity optionally recorded. The 'step select' buttons could be external midi buttons on a controller, or perhaps also the computer-keyboard keys...
(I think the Elektron monomachine has a similar entry-mode to this?)
And, 'next step'/'previous step' entry buttons would also be good.

I can really see such note entry technique fitting into Numerology in a satisfying way.

Personally, I would also enjoy a more 'realtime' entry method (ie with sequencer running), but the above 'steptime' technique is the first thing I'd choose.

I must immediately mention that I haven't had a chance to even explore to what extent these techniques may already be possible, so forgive me if some of this exists....

cheers
Graeme
(new Numerology user/owner here, hi everyone!)
Old 01-24-2009, 11:00 PM
Administrator

My latest thoughts are to have a 'cursor' -- the current step for entering notes, which would be separate from the current playing step, and then allow you to set the cursor step, with various options for 'programming' it (midi note, CC, or the computer keyboard). This would be separate from a 'recording' mode, in which incoming MIDI would be mapped to the current step, with some timing adjustments to handle quantizing of incoming rhythms to the sequencer rate.

Cheers,
Jim